Optimization-based structure identification of dynamical networks
The topological structure of a dynamical network plays a pivotal part in its properties, dynamics and control. Thus, understanding and modeling the structure of a network will lead to a better knowledge of its evolutionary mechanisms and to a better cottoning on its dynamical and functional behaviors. However, in many practical situations, the topological structure of a dynamical network is usually unknown or uncertain. Thus, exploring the underlying topological structure of a dynamical network is of great value. In recent years, there has been a growing interest in structure identification of dynamical networks. As a result, various methods for identifying the network structure have been proposed. However, in most of the previous work, few of them were discussed in the perspective of optimization. In this paper, an optimization algorithm based on the projected conjugate gradient method is proposed to identify a network structure. It is straightforward and applicable to networks with or without observation noise. Furthermore, the proposed algorithm is applicable to dynamical networks with partially observed component variables for each multidimensional node, as well as small-scale networks with time-varying structures. Numerical experiments are conducted to illustrate the good performance and universality of the new algorithm.
Volume (Year): 392 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhou, Jin & Lu, Jun-an, 2007. "Topology identification of weighted complex dynamical networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 386(1), pages 481-491.
- Wu, Xiaoqun, 2008. "Synchronization-based topology identification of weighted general complex dynamical networks with time-varying coupling delay," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(4), pages 997-1008.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Watts, Alison, 2002.
"The Evolution of Social and Economic Networks,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 265-295, October.
- Jackson, Matthew O., 1998. "The Evolution of Social and Economic Networks," Working Papers 1044, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:392:y:2013:i:4:p:1038-1049. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.