Currency crises and the evolution of foreign exchange market: Evidence from minimum spanning tree
We examined the time series properties of the foreign exchange market for 1990–2008 in relation to the history of the currency crises using the minimum spanning tree (MST) approach and made several meaningful observations about the MST of currencies. First, around currency crises, the mean correlation coefficient between currencies decreased whereas the normalized tree length increased. The mean correlation coefficient dropped dramatically passing through the Asian crisis and remained at the lowered level after that. Second, the Euro and the US dollar showed a strong negative correlation after 1997, implying that the prices of the two currencies moved in opposite directions. Third, we observed that Asian countries and Latin American countries moved away from the cluster center (USA) passing through the Asian crisis and Argentine crisis, respectively.
Volume (Year): 390 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/ |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Mantegna, 1999.
"Hierarchical structure in financial markets,"
The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- R. Mantegna, 1999. "Hierarchical structure in financial markets," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 193-197, September.
- G. Bonanno & G. Caldarelli & F. Lillo & S. Micciche` & N. Vandewalle & R. N. Mantegna, 2004.
"Networks of equities in financial markets,"
- G. Bonanno & G. Caldarelli & F. Lillo & S. Micciché & N. Vandewalle & R. Mantegna, 2004. "Networks of equities in financial markets," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 363-371, 03.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cheoljun Eom & Gabjin Oh & Seunghwan Kim, 2007. "Deterministic Factors of Stock Networks based on Cross-correlation in Financial Market," Papers 0705.0076, arXiv.org.
- Vincenzo Tola & Fabrizio Lillo & Mauro Gallegati & Rosario N. Mantegna, 2005.
"Cluster analysis for portfolio optimization,"
- Ricardo Coehlo & Claire Gilmore & Brian M. Lucey, 2006.
"The Evolution of Interdependence in World Equity Markets - Evidence from Minimum Spanning Trees,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Coelho, Ricardo & Gilmore, Claire G. & Lucey, Brian & Richmond, Peter & Hutzler, Stefan, 2007. "The evolution of interdependence in world equity markets—Evidence from minimum spanning trees," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 376(C), pages 455-466.
- Didier, Tatiana & Mauro, Paolo & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008. "Vanishing financial contagion?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 775-791.
- Mizuno, Takayuki & Takayasu, Hideki & Takayasu, Misako, 2006. "Correlation networks among currencies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 364(C), pages 336-342.
- Eom, Cheoljun & Oh, Gabjin & Kim, Seunghwan, 2007. "Deterministic factors of stock networks based on cross-correlation in financial market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 383(1), pages 139-146.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:390:y:2011:i:4:p:707-718. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.