Memory-based persistence in a counting random walk process
This paper considers a memory-based persistent counting random walk, based on a Markov memory of the last event. This persistent model is a different than the Weiss persistent random walk model however, leading thereby to different results. We point out to some preliminary result, in particular, we provide an explicit expression for the mean and the variance, both nonlinear in time, of the underlying memory-based persistent process and discuss the usefulness to some problems in insurance, finance and risk analysis. The motivation for the paper arose from the counting of events (whether rare or not) in insurance that presume that events are time independent and therefore based on the Poisson distribution for counting these events.
Volume (Year): 386 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weiss, George H, 2002. "Some applications of persistent random walks and the telegrapher's equation," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 311(3), pages 381-410.
- Telesca, Luciano & Lovallo, Michele, 2006. "Are global terrorist attacks time-correlated?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 362(2), pages 480-484.
- Pottier, Noëlle, 1996. "Analytic study of the effect of persistence on a one-dimensional biased random walk," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 230(3), pages 563-576.
- Jaume Masoliver & Miquel Montero & Josep Perello & George H. Weiss, 2003.
"The CTRW in finance: Direct and inverse problems with some generalizations and extensions,"
cond-mat/0308017, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2006.
- Masoliver, Jaume & Montero, Miquel & Perelló, Josep & Weiss, George H., 2007. "The CTRW in finance: Direct and inverse problems with some generalizations and extensions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 151-167.
- Jaume Masoliver & Miquel Montero & George H. Weiss, 2002. "A continuous time random walk model for financial distributions," Papers cond-mat/0210513, arXiv.org.
- Scalas, Enrico, 2006. "The application of continuous-time random walks in finance and economics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 362(2), pages 225-239.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:386:y:2007:i:1:p:303-317. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.