Dynamical analogy between epileptic seizures and seismogenic electromagnetic emissions by means of nonextensive statistical mechanics
The field of study of complex systems considers that the dynamics of complex systems are founded on universal principles that may be used to describe a great variety of scientific and technological approaches of different types of natural, artificial, and social systems. Several authors have suggested that earthquake dynamics and neurodynamics can be analyzed within similar mathematical frameworks. Recently, authors have shown that a dynamical analogy supported by scale-free statistics exists between seizures and earthquakes, analyzing populations of different seizures and earthquakes, respectively. The purpose of this paper is to suggest a shift in emphasis from the large to the small scale: our analyses focus on a single epileptic seizure generation and the activation of a single fault (earthquake) and not on the statistics of sequences of different seizures and earthquakes. We apply the concepts of the nonextensive statistical physics to support the suggestion that a dynamical analogy exists between the two different extreme events, seizures and earthquakes. We also investigate the existence of such an analogy by means of scale-free statistics (the Gutenberg–Richter distribution of event sizes and the distribution of the waiting time until the next event). The performed analysis confirms the existence of a dynamic analogy between earthquakes and seizures, which moreover follow the dynamics of magnetic storms and solar flares.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 392 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Telesca, Luciano & Lovallo, Michele, 2007. "Non-random components in aircraft accidents time series," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 381(C), pages 407-410.
- Telesca, Luciano & Lovallo, Michele, 2006. "Are global terrorist attacks time-correlated?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 362(2), pages 480-484.
- Eftaxias, K., 2010. "Footprints of nonextensive Tsallis statistics, selfaffinity and universality in the preparation of the L’Aquila earthquake hidden in a pre-seismic EM emission," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(1), pages 133-140.
- Kalimeri, M. & Papadimitriou, C. & Balasis, G. & Eftaxias, K., 2008. "Dynamical complexity detection in pre-seismic emissions using nonadditive Tsallis entropy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(5), pages 1161-1172.
- Telesca, Luciano, 2010. "Nonextensive analysis of seismic sequences," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(9), pages 1911-1914.
- Vilar, C.S. & França, G.S. & Silva, R. & Alcaniz, J.S., 2007. "Nonextensivity in geological faults?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 377(1), pages 285-290.
- Telesca, Luciano, 2007. "Identifying time-clustering structures in the sequence of solar flare hard X-ray bursts," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 384(2), pages 516-521.
- Stanley, H.Eugene, 2000. "Exotic statistical physics: Applications to biology, medicine, and economics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 285(1), pages 1-17.
- Telesca, Luciano & Bernardi, Marina & Rovelli, Cinzia, 2005. "Intra-cluster and inter-cluster time correlations in lightning sequences," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 356(2), pages 655-661.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:392:y:2013:i:3:p:497-509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.