Market liquidity risk factor and financial market anomalies: Evidence from the Chinese stock market
The Chinese stock market is an order-driven market and hence its characteristics are structurally different from quote-driven markets. There are no studies that consider the role of the market liquidity risk factor in determining cross-sectional stock returns in a model including financial market anomalies for order-driven markets. Our aim is to test whether financial market anomalies such as firm size, the book-to-market ratio, the turnover rate, and momentum both with and without the inclusion of the market liquidity risk factor in the case of the Chinese stock market can explain cross-sectional stock returns. The empirical framework is based on the model proposed by Avramov and Chordia (AC, 2006). Our main finding is that the AC model can capture financial market anomalies except momentum when we include the market liquidity risk factor on the Chinese stock market.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acharya, Viral V & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2003.
"Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3749, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, .
"Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns,"
CRSP working papers
531, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Pástor, Luboš & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2002. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 3494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lubos Pastor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2001. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1996. " Multifactor Explanations of Asset Pricing Anomalies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 55-84, March.
- Philip Gharghori & Howard Chan & Robert Faff, 2007. "Are the Fama-French Factors Proxying Default Risk?," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 32(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Paul Brockman & Dennis Y. Chung, 2002. "Commonality in Liquidity: Evidence from an Order-Driven Market Structure," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 521-539.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000. "Commonality in liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 3-28, April.
- Wang, Jiang & Grossman, Sanford & Campbell, John, 1993.
"Trading Volume and Serial Correlation in Stock Returns,"
3128710, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, John Y & Grossman, Sanford J & Wang, Jiang, 1993. "Trading Volume and Serial Correlation in Stock Returns," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 905-39, November.
- John Y. Campbell & Sanford J. Grossman & Jiang Wang, 1992. "Trading Volume and Serial Correlation in Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 4193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martinez, Miguel A. & Nieto, Belen & Rubio, Gonzalo & Tapia, Mikel, 2005. "Asset pricing and systematic liquidity risk: An empirical investigation of the Spanish stock market," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 81-103.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Antoniou, Antonios & Lam, Herbert Y.T. & Paudyal, Krishna, 2007. "Profitability of momentum strategies in international markets: The role of business cycle variables and behavioural biases," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 955-972, March.
- Liu, Weimin, 2006. "A liquidity-augmented capital asset pricing model," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 631-671, December.
- Doron Avramov & Tarun Chordia, 2006. "Asset Pricing Models and Financial Market Anomalies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(3), pages 1001-1040.
- Eun, Cheol S. & Huang, Wei, 2007. "Asset pricing in China's domestic stock markets: Is there a logic?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 452-480, November.
- Korajczyk, Robert A. & Sadka, Ronnie, 2008. "Pricing the commonality across alternative measures of liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 45-72, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:18:y:2010:i:5:p:509-520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.