Hedging efficiency in the Greek options market before and after the financial crisis of 2008
This study examines the hedging effectiveness of the emerging Greek options market before and after the financial crisis of 2008. We test the hypothesis of market efficiency by analyzing violations of FTSE/ASE-20 index option returns with respect to standard option theory, estimating option risk-premia, and testing the statistical significance of the returns to delta and delta–vega neutral straddles. Our empirical results suggest that, despite a certain level of mispricing, the Athens Derivatives Exchange maintained a relative level of efficiency before 2008. However, the economic crisis has had a significant impact on the Greek options market, as evidenced by more pronounced violations of theoretical predictions observed in option returns and risk-premia. These findings have direct implications for the risk management of international portfolios, since the feasibility and effectiveness of hedging exposure in Greek investments is found to have declined precisely when it is needed the most.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Santa-Clara, Pedro & Saretto, Alessio, 2009. "Option strategies: Good deals and margin calls," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 391-417, August.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Mark Rubinstein, 1976. "The Valuation of Uncertain Income Streams and the Pricing of Options," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 407-425, Autumn.
- Bates, David S., 2000. "Post-'87 crash fears in the S&P 500 futures option market," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 181-238.
- Broadie, Mark & Chernov, Mikhail & Johannes, Michael, 2007.
"Understanding Index Option Returns,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6239, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Norden, Lars, 2001. "Hedging of American equity options: do call and put prices always move in the direction as predicted by the movement in the underlying stock price?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 321-340, December.
- Joshua D. Coval, 2001. "Expected Option Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(3), pages 983-1009, 06.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Christopher S. Jones, 2006. "A Nonlinear Factor Analysis of S&P 500 Index Option Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(5), pages 2325-2363, October.
- Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2011. "Financial integration and portfolio investments to emerging Balkan equity markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 40-54, February.
- Kaushik Amin & Joshua D. Coval & H. Nejat Seyhun, 2004. "Index Option Prices and Stock Market Momentum," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(4), pages 835-874, October.
- Lafuente, Juan A. & Novales, Alfonso, 2003.
"Optimal hedging under departures from the cost-of-carry valuation: Evidence from the Spanish stock index futures market,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1053-1078, June.
- Alfonso Novales & J.A. Lafuente, 2002. "Optimal hedging under departures from the cost-of-carry valuation: evidence from the Spanish stock index futures market," Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE 0223, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Dimitris Kenourgios, 2005. "Testing Efficiency And The Unbiasedness Hypothesis Of The Emerging Greek Futures Market," Finance 0512015, EconWPA.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Charles Quanwei Cao & Gurdip S. Bakshi & Zhiwu Chen, 1999.
"Do Call Prices and the Underlying Stock Always Move in the Same Direction?,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm125, Yale School of Management.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Cao, Charles & Chen, Zhiwu, 2000. "Do Call Prices and the Underlying Stock Always Move in the Same Direction?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(3), pages 549-84.
- Xiaoquan Liu, 2007. "Returns to trading portfolios of FTSE 100 index options," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(15), pages 1211-1225.
- Buraschi, Andrea & Jackwerth, Jens, 2001. "The Price of a Smile: Hedging and Spanning in Option Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 495-527.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Nicolas P. B. Bollen & Robert E. Whaley, 2004. "Does Net Buying Pressure Affect the Shape of Implied Volatility Functions?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 59(2), pages 711-753, 04.
- Voronkova, Svitlana, 2004. "Equity market integration in Central European emerging markets: A cointegration analysis with shifting regimes," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 633-647.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mulfin:v:23:y:2013:i:1:p:1-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.