Committee selection under weight constraints
In this paper we investigate the problem of selecting a committee consisting of k members from a list of m candidates. Each candidate has a certain cost or weight. The choice of the k-committee has to satisfy some budget or weight constraint: the sum of the weights of all committee members must not exceed a given value W. While the former part of the problem is a typical question in Social Choice Theory, the latter stems from Operations Research. The purpose of this paper is to link these two research fields: we first characterize reasonable ways of ranking sets of objects, i.e., candidates, and then develop efficient algorithms for the actual computation of optimal committees.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Darmann, Andreas & Klamler, Christian & Pferschy, Ulrich, 2010. "A note on maximizing the minimum voter satisfaction on spanning trees," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 82-85, July.
- Barbera, Salvador & Masso, Jordi & Neme, Alejandro, 2005.
"Voting by committees under constraints,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 185-205, June.
- Salvador Barbera & Jordi Masso & Alejandro Neme, 2000. "Voting by Committees Under Constraints," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1328, Econometric Society.
- Salvador BARBER? & Jordi MassóAuthor-Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Alejandro NEME, 2001. "Voting by Committees under Constraints," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 501.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Salvador Barberà & Jordi Massó & Alejandro Neme, 2001. "Voting by Committees under Constraints," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 505.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC), revised 01 Jul 2003.
- Salvador Barberà & Jordi Massó & Alejandro Neme, 2001. "Voting by Committees under Constraints," Working Papers 7, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Brams, Steven J. & Fishburn, Peter, 1998.
98-30, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Brams, Steven J. & Fishburn, Peter C., 2002. "Voting procedures," Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare, in: K. J. Arrow & A. K. Sen & K. Suzumura (ed.), Handbook of Social Choice and Welfare, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 173-236 Elsevier.
- Brams, Steven J., 1994. "Voting procedures," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 30, pages 1055-1089 Elsevier.
- Steven Brams & D. Kilgour & M. Sanver, 2007. "A minimax procedure for electing committees," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 132(3), pages 401-420, September.
- Andreas Darmann & Christian Klamler & Ulrich Pferschy, 2011. "Finding socially best spanning trees," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(4), pages 511-527, April.
- Darmann, Andreas & Klamler, Christian & Pferschy, Ulrich, 2009. "Maximizing the minimum voter satisfaction on spanning trees," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 238-250, September.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Caprara, Alberto & Kellerer, Hans & Pferschy, Ulrich & Pisinger, David, 2000. "Approximation algorithms for knapsack problems with cardinality constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 333-345, June.
- Christian Klamler & Ulrich Pferschy, 2007. "The traveling group problem," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 429-452, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:matsoc:v:64:y:2012:i:1:p:48-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.