The Jevons double coincidence condition and local uniqueness of money: An example
Jevons's double coincidence of wants condition is derived as the result of household level transaction costs in general equilibrium where N commodities are traded at (1/2)N(N-1) commodity-pairwise trading posts. Each household experiences a set-up cost on entering an additional trading post. Budget constraints are enforced at each trading post separately implying demand for a carrier of value between trading posts, commodity money. General equilibrium consists of prices so that each trading post clears. Existence and local uniqueness of commodity money in equilibrium can follow from the scale economy implied by the household set-up cost.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hahn, F H, 1971. "Equilibrium with Transaction Costs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 417-439, May.
- Frank Hahn, 1973. "On Transaction Costs, Inessential Sequence Economies and Money," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 40(4), pages 449-461.
- Menger, Carl, 1892. "On the Origins of Money," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 2, pages 239-255.
- Shapley, Lloyd S & Shubik, Martin, 1977. "Trade Using One Commodity as a Means of Payment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(5), pages 937-968, October.
- Starr, Ross M., 2008. "Mengerian saleableness and commodity money in a Walrasian trading post example," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 35-38, July.
- Starr, Ross M., 2008. "Mengerian Saleableness and Commodity Money in a Walrasian Trading Post Example," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt92k1n9mn, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1989. "On Money as a Medium of Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 927-954, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:46:y:2010:i:5:p:786-792. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.