Overinvestment and fraud
We analyze the interactions between two managerial tasks: investing and revealing information. We assume that a manager can invest influencing the firm's quality, then he reports this quality to investors. Whenever truthful reporting is not an equilibrium, the manager has incentives to overinvest relative to shareholders. Therefore, the potential for market manipulation is the key in understanding investment policy; it is the desire to manipulate prices that leads to inefficient investment. Also, more manipulation occurs when the manager is in control, so prices are less informative. Finally, we show that the manager is better off with an exogenous reporting policy.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edwin J. Elton & Martin J. Gruber & Christopher R. Blake, 2003. "Incentive Fees and Mutual Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 779-804, 04.
- Jose A. Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2003. "Overconfidence and Speculative Bubbles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1183-1219, December.
- Stein, Jeremy C., 1996.
"Rational Capital Budgeting in an Irrational World,"
3708373, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bergstresser, Daniel & Philippon, Thomas, 2006.
"CEO incentives and earnings management,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 511-529, June.
- Brown, Keith C & Harlow, W V & Starks, Laura T, 1996. " Of Tournaments and Temptations: An Analysis of Managerial Incentives in the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 85-110, March.
- Jianping Mei & Jose Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2005.
"Speculative Trading and Stock Prices: Evidence from Chinese A-B Share Premia,"
NBER Working Papers
11362, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jianping Mei & Jose A. Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2009. "Speculative Trading and Stock Prices: Evidence from Chinese A-B Share Premia," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 10(2), pages 225-255, November.
- Jianping Mei & Jose A. Scheinkman & Wei Xiong, 2009. "Speculative Trading and Stock Prices: Evidence from Chinese A-B Share Premia," CEMA Working Papers 504, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Jeremy C. Stein, 2001.
"Agency, Information and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
8342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinheiro, Marcelo, 2008. "Loyalty, peer group effects, and 401(k)," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 94-122, February.
- J B Heaton, 2002. "Managerial Optimism and Corporate Finance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate, 2004.
"CEO Overconfidence and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichberger, Jurgen & Grant, Simon & King, Stephen P., 1999. "On relative performance contracts and fund manager's incentives," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 135-161, January.
- Gali, Jordi, 1994.
"Keeping Up with the Joneses: Consumption Externalities, Portfolio Choice, and Asset Prices,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(1), pages 1-8, February.
- Gali, J., 1992. "Keeping Up with the Joneses: Consumption Externalities, Portfolio Choice and Asset Prices," Papers 92-22, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Marcelo Pinheiro, 2008. "Demand shocks and market manipulation," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 269-298, July.
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Palomino, Frederic, 2005. "Relative performance objectives in financial markets," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 351-375, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:44:y:2008:i:5-6:p:484-512. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.