Competition law in telecommunications and its implications for common carriage of water
As with most water companies in the world UK water companies face very little competition for the delivery of water within their area. However, recently both the government and the regulator, Ofwat, have indicated that they wish to see a major change in the industry through a significant growth of competition. The pricing of common carriage of water will be central to whether this objective can be achieved. The aim of this paper is assess UK and European competition policy in telecommunications and the lessons that can be learnt from this for the regulation of common carriage in the water industry.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cave, Martin, 1997. "The evolution of telecommunications regulation in the UK," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 691-699, April.
- Valletti, Tommaso M., 1999.
"The practice of access pricing: telecommunications in the United Kingdom,"
Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 83-98, June.
- Valletti, Tommasso M., 1999. "The practice of access pricing : telecommunications in the United Kingdom," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2063, The World Bank.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1998. "Network Interconnection in Telecommunications," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 545-564, May.
- Baumol, W. J., 2001. "Economically defensible access pricing, competition and preservation of socially desirable cross subsidy," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 151-159.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1996. "Creating Competition through Interconnection: Theory and Practice," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 227-256, November.
- Hern, R., 2001. "Competition and access pricing in the UK water industry," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 117-127.
- Aitman, D., 2001. "Competition law constraints on access charges in the England and Wales water industry," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 129-136. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)