Cross-docking: State of the art
Cross-docking is a logistics strategy in which freight is unloaded from inbound vehicles and (almost) directly loaded into outbound vehicles, with little or no storage in between. This paper presents an overview of the cross-docking concept. Guidelines for the successful use and implementation of cross-docking are discussed and several characteristics are described that can be used to distinguish between different cross-dock types. In addition, this paper presents an extensive review of the existing literature about cross-docking. The discussed papers are classified based on the problem type that is tackled (ranging from more strategic or tactical to more operational problems). Based on this review, several opportunities to improve and extend the current research are indicated.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boysen, Nils & Fliedner, Malte, 2010. "Cross dock scheduling: Classification, literature review and research agenda," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 413-422, December.
- Jayaraman, Vaidyanathan & Ross, Anthony, 2003. "A simulated annealing methodology to distribution network design and management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(3), pages 629-645, February.
- Miao, Zhaowei & Lim, Andrew & Ma, Hong, 2009. "Truck dock assignment problem with operational time constraint within crossdocks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 105-115, January.
- Dorndorf, Ulrich & Drexl, Andreas & Nikulin, Yury & Pesch, Erwin, 2007. "Flight gate scheduling: State-of-the-art and recent developments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 326-334, June.
- Werners, Brigitte & Wülfing, Thomas, 2010. "Robust optimization of internal transports at a parcel sorting center operated by Deutsche Post World Net," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 419-426, March.
- Ma, Hong & Miao, Zhaowei & Lim, Andrew & Rodrigues, Brian, 2011. "Crossdocking distribution networks with setup cost and time window constraint," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 64-72, January.
- Yu, Wooyeon & Egbelu, Pius J., 2008. "Scheduling of inbound and outbound trucks in cross docking systems with temporary storage," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 377-396, January.
- Tang, Shao-Long & Yan, Hong, 2010. "Pre-distribution vs. post-distribution for cross-docking with transshipments," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 192-202, June.
- Waller, Matthew A. & Cassady, C. Richard & Ozment, John, 2006. "Impact of cross-docking on inventory in a decentralized retail supply chain," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 359-382, September.
- Yan, Hong & Tang, Shao-long, 2009. "Pre-distribution and post-distribution cross-docking operations," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(6), pages 843-859, November.
- Soltani, Roya & Sadjadi, Seyed Jafar, 2010. "Scheduling trucks in cross-docking systems: A robust meta-heuristics approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 650-666, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:6:p:827-846. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.