Screening alternatives graphically by an extended case-based distance approach
Screening is a helpful process of multiple criteria decision aid (MCDA) to reduce a larger set of alternatives into a smaller one containing the best alternatives; thereby, decision makers are able to concentrate on evaluating alternatives within a smaller set. Therefore, determining how to assist decision makers in screening is an important issue for MCDA. This study proposes an extended case-based distance approach incorporating the advantages of a case-based distance method, a mixed-integer programming approach of discriminant analysis, and a multidimensional scaling technique to help decision makers screen alternatives visually in MCDA. The proposed approach can screen alternatives by evaluating sets of cases selected by decision makers, providing visual aids to observe decision context, reducing the number of misclassifications, and improving multiple solution problems. An interactive screening procedure is also developed to provide flexibility so that decision makers can check and adjust screening results iteratively.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brugha, Cathal M., 2004. "Phased multicriteria preference finding," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 308-316, October.
- Ulucan, AydIn & BarIs AtIcI, KazIm, 2010. "Efficiency evaluations with context-dependent and measure-specific data envelopment approaches: An application in a World Bank supported project," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 68-83, February.
- Jacquet-Lagreze, E. & Siskos, J., 1982. "Assessing a set of additive utility functions for multicriteria decision-making, the UTA method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 151-164, June.
- Rick L. Andrews & Ajay K. Manrai, 1999. "MDS Maps for Product Attributes and Market Response: An Application to Scanner Panel Data," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(4), pages 584-604.
- G.Y. Tütüncü & B.M. Carreto Baker, 2009. "A visual interactive approach to the classical and mixed vehicle routing problems with backhauls," Post-Print hal-00581628, HAL.
- YazgI Tütüncü, G. & Carreto, Carlos A.C. & Baker, Barrie M., 2009. "A visual interactive approach to classical and mixed vehicle routing problems with backhauls," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 138-154, February.
- Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 2004. "Mixed integer programming approach of extended DEA-discriminant analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 45-55, January.
- Partovi, Fariborz Y., 2011. "Corporate philanthropic selection using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 522-527, October.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2003. "Context-dependent data envelopment analysis--Measuring attractiveness and progress," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 397-408, October.
- Adler, Nicole & Raveh, Adi, 2008. "Presenting DEA graphically," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 715-729, October.
- Chen, Ye & Marc Kilgour, D. & Hipel, Keith W., 2008. "A case-based distance method for screening in multiple-criteria decision aid," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 373-383, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:40:y:2012:i:1:p:96-103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.