Mitigating Hi-tech products risks due to rapid technological innovation
The risks on international trade have increased continuously in recent years. One such risk for Hi-tech products is the result of rapid technological innovation, which results in a significant decline in the component cost, the selling price and the demand (due to newer products introduction). The Hi-tech products include computers and communication consumer products. From a practical viewpoint, there is a need to develop an innovative replenishing policy to consider the impact of the risk. In this paper, an economic order quantity model with finite planning horizon is developed for a buyer, when the component cost, the selling price and the demand rate of the end-consumer decline at a continuous rate. A numerical example and sensitivity analysis for two case studies are carried out to illustrate this model.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Kung-Jeng & Wee, Hui-Ming & Gao, Shin-Feng & Chung, Shen-Lian, 2005. "Production and inventory control with chaotic demands," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 97-106, April.
- Kevin Hsu, Wen-Kai & Yu, Hong-Fwu, 2009. "EOQ model for imperfective items under a one-time-only discount," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1018-1026, October.
- Khouja, Moutaz & Park, Sungjune, 2003. "Optimal lot sizing under continuous price decrease," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 539-545, December.
- Ramasesh, Ranga V., 2010. "Lot-sizing decisions under limited-time price incentives: A review," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 118-135, June.
- Hariga, Moncer A. & Benkherouf, Lakdere, 1994. "Optimal and heuristic inventory replenishment models for deteriorating items with exponential time-varying demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 123-137, November.
- Wee, Hui-Ming, 1995. "Joint pricing and replenishment policy for deteriorating inventory with declining market," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2-3), pages 163-171, August.
- Erel, E, 1992. "The effect of continuous price change in the EOQ," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 523-527, July.
- Wee, H.M. & Yu, Jonas & Chen, M.C., 2007. "Optimal inventory model for items with imperfect quality and shortage backordering," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 7-11, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:39:y:2011:i:4:p:456-463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.