A matched plant comparison of productivity in East and West Germany: Transition to the market economy
This study compares east German productivity with that of west Germany within the newly unified Germany. It does so by comparing in detail the performance of a sample of 32 plants in east Germany with 34 matching plants in west Germany. The results refer mainly to 1990 and 1991 but some less formally based results for 1993 are also given. Possible reasons for productivity differences are examined. The results provide important conclusions on the role of machinery and training in productivity improvement. The research is complimentary to more macro-orientated and statistically based studies of economic performance of eastern European countries.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collier, Irwin L. & Siebert, Horst, 1991.
"The economic integration of post-wall Germany,"
Kiel Working Papers
462, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:128:y::i:1:p:40-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. Daly & D.M.W.N. Hitchens & K. Wagner, 1985. "Productivity, Machinery and Skills in a Sample of British and German Manufacturing Plants," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 111(1), pages 48-61, February.
- Kravis, Irving B, 1976. "A Survey of International Comparisons of Productivity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(341), pages 1-44, March.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:139:y::i:1:p:46-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aghion, Philippe & Blanchard, Olivier & Burgess, Robin, 1994. "The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatisation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1327-1349, June.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:111:y::i:1:p:48-61 is not listed on IDEAS
- Prais, S J, 1986. "Some International Comparisons of the Age of the Machine-Stock," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 261-277, March.
- Hitchens, Dmwn & Wagner, K & Birnie, Je, 1991. "Improving productivity through international exchange visits," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 361-368.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 1992. "Restructuring Enterprises in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 700, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- George A. Akerlof & Andrew K. Rose & Janet L. Yellen & Helga Hessenius, 1991. "East Germany in from the Cold: The Economic Aftermath of Currency Union," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 1-106.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:24:y:1996:i:3:p:321-335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.