A matched plant comparison of productivity in East and West Germany: Transition to the market economy
This study compares east German productivity with that of west Germany within the newly unified Germany. It does so by comparing in detail the performance of a sample of 32 plants in east Germany with 34 matching plants in west Germany. The results refer mainly to 1990 and 1991 but some less formally based results for 1993 are also given. Possible reasons for productivity differences are examined. The results provide important conclusions on the role of machinery and training in productivity improvement. The research is complimentary to more macro-orientated and statistically based studies of economic performance of eastern European countries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:sae:niesru:v:139:y::i:1:p:46-63 is not listed on IDEAS
- Prais, S J, 1986. "Some International Comparisons of the Age of the Machine-Stock," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 261-277, March.
- George A. Akerlof & Andrew K. Rose & Janet L. Yellen & Helga Hessenius, 1991. "East Germany in from the Cold: The Economic Aftermath of Currency Union," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(1), pages 1-106.
- Aghion, Philippe & Blanchard, Olivier & Burgess, Robin, 1994. "The behaviour of state firms in eastern Europe, pre-privatisation," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1327-1349, June.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:128:y::i:1:p:40-57 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hitchens, Dmwn & Wagner, K & Birnie, Je, 1991. "Improving productivity through international exchange visits," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 361-368.
- Carlin, Wendy & Mayer, Colin, 1992. "Restructuring Enterprises in Eastern Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 700, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- A. Daly & D.M.W.N. Hitchens & K. Wagner, 1985. "Productivity, Machinery and Skills in a Sample of British and German Manufacturing Plants," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 111(1), pages 48-61, February.
- Collier, Irwin L. & Siebert, Horst, 1991.
"The economic integration of post-wall Germany,"
Kiel Working Papers
462, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- repec:sae:niesru:v:111:y::i:1:p:48-61 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kravis, Irving B, 1976. "A Survey of International Comparisons of Productivity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(341), pages 1-44, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:24:y:1996:i:3:p:321-335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.