Randomly censored partially linear single-index models
This paper proposes a method for estimation of a class of partially linear single-index models with randomly censored samples. The method provides a flexible way for modelling the association between a response and a set of predictor variables when the response variable is randomly censored. It presents a technique for "dimension reduction" in semiparametric censored regression models and generalizes the existing accelerated failure-time models for survival analysis. The estimation procedure involves three stages: first, transform the censored data into synthetic data or pseudo-responses unbiasedly; second, obtain quasi-likelihood estimates of the regression coefficients in both linear and single-index components by an iteratively algorithm; finally, estimate the unknown nonparametric regression function using techniques for univariate censored nonparametric regression. The estimators for the regression coefficients are shown to be jointly root-n consistent and asymptotically normal. In addition, the estimator for the unknown regression function is a local linear kernel regression estimator and can be estimated with the same efficiency as all the parameters are known. Monte Carlo simulations are conducted to illustrate the proposed methodology.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 10 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duncan, Gregory M., 1986. "A semi-parametric censored regression estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 5-34, June.
- Fernandez, Luis, 1986. "Non-parametric maximum likelihood estimation of censored regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-57, June.
- G rgens, Tue, 2004. "Average Derivatives For Hazard Functions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 437-463, June.
- Moshe Buchinsky & Jinyong Hahn, 1998. "An Alternative Estimator for the Censored Quantile Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 653-672, May.
- Powell, James L., 1986. "Censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 143-155, June.
- Lu, Xuewen & Burke, M.D., 2005. "Censored multiple regression by the method of average derivatives," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 182-205, July.
- Srinivasan, C. & Zhou, M., 1994. "Linear Regression with Censoring," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 179-201, May.
- Xia, Yingcun & Härdle, Wolfgang, 2006. "Semi-parametric estimation of partially linear single-index models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(5), pages 1162-1184, May.
- Newey, Whitney K & Stoker, Thomas M, 1993. "Efficiency of Weighted Average Derivative Estimators and Index Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1199-223, September.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton, 2000.
"Nonparametric censored and truncated regression,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2060, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton, 2000. "Nonparametric Censored and Truncated Regression," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 389, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton, 2000. "Nonparametric Censored and Truncated Regression," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 439, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Arthur Lewbel & Oliver Linton, 2000. "Nonparametric Censored and Truncated Regression," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1237, Econometric Society.
- Arthur Lewbel, 1998. "Semiparametric Latent Variable Model Estimation with Endogenous or Mismeasured Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 105-122, January.
- Lai, T. L. & Ying, Z. L. & Zheng, Z. K., 1995. "Asymptotic Normality of a Class of Adaptive Statistics with Applications to Synthetic Data Methods for Censored Regression," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 259-279, February.
- Songnian Chen & Gordon B. Dahl & Shakeeb Khan, 2005. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of a Censored Location-Scale Regression Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 212-221, March.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:98:y:2007:i:10:p:1895-1922. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.