Nonparametric Censored and Truncated Regression
The nonparametric censored regression model, with a fixed, known censoring point (normalized to zero), is y = max[0,m(x)+e], where both the regression function m(x) and the distribution of the error e are unknown. This paper provides consistent estimators of m(x) and its derivatives. The convergence rate is the same as for an uncensored nonparametric regression and its derivatives. We also provide root n estimates of weighted average derivatives of m(x), which equal the coefficients in linear or partly linear specifications for m(x). An extension permits estimation in the presence of a general form of heteroskedasticity. We also extend the estimator to the nonparametric truncated regression model, in which only uncensored data points are observed.
|Date of creation:||05 Jan 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill MA 02467 USA|
Web page: http://fmwww.bc.edu/EC/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahn, Hyungtaik, 1995. "Nonparametric two-stage estimation of conditional choice probabilities in a binary choice model under uncertainty," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 337-378, June.
- Wolfgang HÄRDLE & O. LINTON, 1995. "Nonparametric Regression," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,29, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Dabrowska, D. M., 1995. "Nonparametric Regression with Censored Covariates," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 253-283, August.
- Duncan, Gregory M., 1986. "A semi-parametric censored regression estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 5-34, June.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1973. "Regression Analysis when the Dependent Variable is Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(6), pages 997-1016, November.
- Donald W. K. Andrews & Marcia M. A. Schafgans, 1998. "Semiparametric Estimation of the Intercept of a Sample Selection Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 497-517.
- Fernandez, Luis, 1986. "Non-parametric maximum likelihood estimation of censored regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 35-57, June.
- Moshe Buchinsky & Jinyong Hahn, 1998. "An Alternative Estimator for the Censored Quantile Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 653-672, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boc:bocoec:439. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.