Location estimation in nonparametric regression with censored data
Consider the heteroscedastic model Y=m(X)+[sigma](X)[var epsilon], where [var epsilon] and X are independent, Y is subject to right censoring, m(Â·) is an unknown but smooth location function (like e.g. conditional mean, median, trimmed mean...) and [sigma](Â·) an unknown but smooth scale function. In this paper we consider the estimation of m(Â·) under this model. The estimator we propose is a Nadaraya-Watson type estimator, for which the censored observations are replaced by 'synthetic' data points estimated under the above model. The estimator offers an alternative for the completely nonparametric estimator of m(Â·), which cannot be estimated consistently in a completely nonparametric way, whenever high quantiles of the conditional distribution of Y given X=x are involved. We obtain the asymptotic properties of the proposed estimator of m(x) and study its finite sample behaviour in a simulation study. The method is also applied to a study of quasars in astronomy.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 8 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moshe Buchinsky & Jinyong Hahn, 1998. "An Alternative Estimator for the Censored Quantile Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 653-672, May.
- Ingrid Van Keilegom & Noël Veraverbeke, 1997. "Estimation and Bootstrap with Censored Data in Fixed Design Nonparametric Regression," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 49(3), pages 467-491, September.
- Cédric Heuchenne & Ingrid Keilegom, 2007. "Polynomial Regression with Censored Data based on Preliminary Nonparametric Estimation," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 59(2), pages 273-297, June.
- Songnian Chen & Gordon B. Dahl & Shakeeb Khan, 2005. "Nonparametric Identification and Estimation of a Censored Location-Scale Regression Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 212-221, March.
- Powell, James L., 1986. "Censored regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 143-155, June.
- Gang Li & Somnath Datta, 2001. "A Bootstrap Approach to Nonparametric Regression for Right Censored Data," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 53(4), pages 708-729, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:98:y:2007:i:8:p:1558-1582. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.