Semi-varying coefficient models with a diverging number of components
Semiparametric models with both nonparametric and parametric components have become increasingly useful in many scientific fields, due to their appropriate representation of the trade-off between flexibility and efficiency of statistical models. In this paper we focus on semi-varying coefficient models (a.k.a. varying coefficient partially linear models) in a "large n, diverging p" situation, when both the number of parametric and nonparametric components diverges at appropriate rates, and we only consider the case p=o(n). Consistency of the estimator based on B-splines and asymptotic normality of the linear components are established under suitable assumptions. Interestingly (although not surprisingly) our analysis shows that the number of parametric components can diverge at a faster rate than the number of nonparametric components and the divergence rates of the number of the nonparametric components constrain the allowable divergence rates of the parametric components, which is a new phenomenon not established in the existing literature as far as we know. Finally, the finite sample behavior of the estimator is evaluated by some Monte Carlo studies.
Volume (Year): 102 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zou, Hui, 2006. "The Adaptive Lasso and Its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1418-1429, December.
- Wang, Lifeng & Li, Hongzhe & Huang, Jianhua Z., 2008. "Variable Selection in Nonparametric Varying-Coefficient Models for Analysis of Repeated Measurements," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1556-1569.
- Ming Yuan & Yi Lin, 2007. "Model selection and estimation in the Gaussian graphical model," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(1), pages 19-35.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Hansheng Wang & Bo Li & Chenlei Leng, 2009. "Shrinkage tuning parameter selection with a diverging number of parameters," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(3), pages 671-683.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:102:y:2011:i:7:p:1166-1174. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.