Semiparametric analysis of longitudinal zero-inflated count data
In this article, we consider a semiparametric zero-inflated Poisson mixed model that postulates a possible nonlinear relationship between the natural logarithm of the mean of the counts and a particular covariate in the longitudinal studies. A penalized log-likelihood function is proposed and Monte Carlo expectation-maximization algorithm is used to derive the estimates. Under some mild conditions, we establish the consistency and asymptotic normality of the resulting estimators. Simulation studies are carried out to investigate the finite sample performance of the proposed method. For illustration purposes, the method is applied to a data set from a pharmaceutical company where the variable of interest is the number of episodes of side effects after the patient has taken the treatments.
Volume (Year): 102 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description |
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521785167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yuan, Ke-Hai & Jennrich, Robert I., 1998. "Asymptotics of Estimating Equations under Natural Conditions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 245-260, May.
- K. F. Lam & Hongqi Xue & Yin Bun Cheung, 2006. "Semiparametric Analysis of Zero-Inflated Count Data," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 996-1003, December.
- D. Böhning & E. Dietz & P. Schlattmann & L. Mendonça & U. Kirchner, 1999. "The zero-inflated Poisson model and the decayed, missing and filled teeth index in dental epidemiology," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 162(2), pages 195-209.
- Lin X. & Carroll R. J., 2001. "Semiparametric Regression for Clustered Data Using Generalized Estimating Equations," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1045-1056, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521780506 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:102:y:2011:i:1:p:61-72. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.