Use of prior information in the consistent estimation of regression coefficients in measurement error models
A multivariate ultrastructural measurement error model is considered and it is assumed that some prior information is available in the form of exact linear restrictions on regression coefficients. Using the prior information along with the additional knowledge of covariance matrix of measurement errors associated with explanatory vector and reliability matrix, we have proposed three methodologies to construct the consistent estimators which also satisfy the given linear restrictions. Asymptotic distribution of these estimators is derived when measurement errors and random error component are not necessarily normally distributed. Dominance conditions for the superiority of one estimator over the other under the criterion of Löwner ordering are obtained for each case of the additional information. Some conditions are also proposed under which the use of a particular type of information will give a more efficient estimator.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- H. Schneeweiß, 1976. "Consistent estimation of a regression with errors in the variables," Metrika, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 101-115, December.
- Srivastava, Anil K. & Shalabh, 1997. "Improved estimation of the slope parameter in a linear ultrastructural model when measurement errors are not necessarily normal," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 153-157, June.
- Shalabh, 1998. "Improved Estimation in Measurement Error Models Through Stein Rule Procedure," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 35-48, October.
- Srivastava, Anil K. & Shalabh, 1997. "Consistent estimation for the non-normal ultrastructural model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 67-73, May.
- Goldberger, Arthur S, 1972. "Structural Equation Methods in the Social Sciences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(6), pages 979-1001, November.
- Geraci, Vincent J, 1977. "Estimation of Simultaneous Equation Models with Measurement Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1243-55, July.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1976. "Identification and Estimation of Simultaneous Equation Models with Measurement Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(2), pages 319-39, June.
- Goldberger, Arthur S, 1972. "Maximum-Likelihood Estimation of Regressions Containing Unobservable Independent Variables," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Geraci, Vincent J, 1983. "Errors in Variables and the Individual Structural Equation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(1), pages 217-36, February.
- Geraci, Vincent J., 1976. "Identification of simultaneous equation models with measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 263-283, August.
- Anderson, T. W., 1989. "Linear latent variable models and covariance structures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 91-119, May.
- Shalabh & Garg, Gaurav & Misra, Neeraj, 2007. "Restricted regression estimation in measurement error models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 1149-1166, October.
- Chi-Lun Cheng & Alexander Kukush, 2006. "Non-Existence of the First Moment of the Adjusted Least Squares Estimator in Multivariate Errors-in-Variables Model," Metrika, Springer, vol. 64(1), pages 41-46, August.
- Gleser, Leon Jay, 1993. "Estimators of slopes in linear errors-invariables regression models when the predictors have known reliability matrix," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 113-121, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:100:y:2009:i:7:p:1498-1520. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.