Utility representation of an incomplete and nontransitive preference relation
The objective of this paper is to provide continuous utility representation theorems analogous to Debreu's classic utility representation theorem, albeit for preference relations that may fail to be complete and/or transitive. Specifically, we show that every (continuous and) reflexive binary relation on a (compact) metric space can be represented by means of the maxmin, or dually, minmax, of a (compact) set of (compact) sets of continuous utility functions. This notion of “maxmin multi-utility representation,” generalizes the recently proposed notions of “multi-utility representation” for preorders and “justifiable preferences” for complete and quasitransitive relations. As such, our main representation theorems lead to some new characterizations of these special cases as well.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arouri, Mohamed & Teulon, Frédéric & Rault, Christophe, 2013.
"Equity risk premium and regional integration,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 79-85.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & FrÃ©dÃ©ric Teulon & Christophe Rault, 2013. "Equity Risk Premium and Regional Integration," CESifo Working Paper Series 4158, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mohamed Arouri & Frédéric Teulon & Christophe Rault, 2014. "Equity Risk Premium and Regional Integration," Working Papers 2014-371, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Christophe Rault & Frédéric Teulon, 2013. "Equity Risk Premium and Regional Integration," Working Papers hal-00798052, HAL.
- Loomes, Graham & Sugden, Robert, 1982. "Regret Theory: An Alternative Theory of Rational Choice under Uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 805-824, December.
- Kuo-Ping Lin & Ching-Lin Lin & Yu-Ming Lu & Ping-Feng Pai, 2013. "Rule Generation Based on Novel Two-Stage Model," Diversity, Technology, and Innovation for Operational Competitiveness: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, ToKnowPress.
- Yusufcan Masatlioglu & Efe A. Ok, 2014. "A Canonical Model of Choice with Initial Endowments," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 81(2), pages 851-883.
- ., 2013. "Industrial policy of the Obama administration," Chapters,in: Industrial Policy in America, chapter 5, pages 96-102 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bosi, Gianni & Herden, Gerhard, 2012. "Continuous multi-utility representations of preorders," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 212-218.
- Lehrer, Ehud & Teper, Roee, 2011. "Justifiable preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 762-774, March.
- ., 2013. "Corporations, culture and accountability," Chapters,in: The Political Power of the Business Corporation, chapter 8, pages 177-196 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2007. "Sequentially Rationalizable Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1824-1839, December.
- Ok, Efe A., 2002. "Utility Representation of an Incomplete Preference Relation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 429-449, June.
- Hiroki Nishimura & Efe A. Ok & John K.-H. Quah, 2017. "A Comprehensive Approach to Revealed Preference Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 107(4), pages 1239-1263, April.
- John Quah & Hiroki Nishimura & Efe A. Ok, 2015. "A Comprehensive Approach to Revealed Preference Theory," Economics Series Working Papers 752, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Hiroki Nishimura & Efe A. Ok & John K.-H. Quah, 2016. "A Comprehensive Approach to Revealed Preference Theory," Working Papers 201614, University of California at Riverside, Department of Economics.
- Sondermann, Dieter, 1980. "Utility representations for partial orders," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 183-188, October.
- Wei He & Nicholas C. Yannelis, 2013. "A New Perspective on Rational Expectations," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1317, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- ., 2013. "The corporation as a political actor," Chapters,in: The Political Power of the Business Corporation, chapter 2, pages 21-41 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Shafer, Wayne J, 1974. "The Nontransitive Consumer," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 913-919, September.
- Ok, Efe A. & Masatlioglu, Yusufcan, 2007. "A theory of (relative) discounting," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 214-245, November.
- Eriksson, Tor & Pan, Jay & Qin, Xuezheng, 2014. "The intergenerational inequality of health in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 392-409.
- Tor Eriksson & Jay Pan & Xuezheng Qin, 2013. "The Intergenerational Inequality of Health in China," Economics Working Papers 2013-21, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Eliaz, Kfir & Ok, Efe A., 2006. "Indifference or indecisiveness? Choice-theoretic foundations of incomplete preferences," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 61-86, July.
- ., 2013. "Haavelmo reconsidered as rational econometric man," Chapters,in: Rational Econometric Man, chapter 2, pages 35-60 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Evren, Özgür & Ok, Efe A., 2011. "On the multi-utility representation of preference relations," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 554-563. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:166:y:2016:i:c:p:164-185. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.