A characterization of inefficiency in stochastic overlapping generations economies
In this paper, we provide a characterization of interim inefficiency in stochastic economies of overlapping generations. With respect to the established body of results in the literature, we allow for sequentially incomplete markets and we remove the hypothesis of two-period horizons, by considering longer, though uniformly bounded, horizons for generations. The characterization exploits a suitably Modified Cass Criterion, based entirely on observable prices and independent of the length of the horizons of generations. For sequentially incomplete markets, we introduce a notion of unambiguous inefficiency, separating the inefficient intertemporal allocation of resources from incomplete risk-sharing. Unambiguous inefficiency reduces to inefficiency when markets are sequentially complete. Furthermore, our analysis shows that the hypothesis of two-period horizons is purely heuristic in establishing a criterion for inefficiency.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Burke, Jonathan L., 1987. "Inactive transfer policies and efficiency in general overlapping-generations economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 201-222, June.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1980. "Existence of competitive equilibrium in a general overlapping-generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 307-322, December.
- Subir Chattopadhyay & Piero Gottardi, 1999.
"Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality,"
99-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Chattopadhyay, Subir & Gottardi, Piero, 1999. "Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 21-67, November.
- Piero Gottardi & Subir Chattopadhyay, 1999. "- Stochastic Olg Models, Market Structure And Optimality," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Cass, David, 1972. "On capital overaccumulation in the aggregative, neoclassical model of economic growth: A complete characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 200-223, April.
- Molina-Abraldes, Antonio & Pintos-Clapes, Juan, 2003. "A complete characterization of Pareto optimality for general OLG economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 235-252, December.
- Lawrence M. Benveniste, 1986. "Pricing Optimal Distributions to Overlapping Generations: A Corollary to Efficiency Pricing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(2), pages 301-306.
- Rao Aiyagari, S. & Peled, Dan, 1991. "Dominant root characterization of Pareto optimality and the existence of optimal equilibria in stochastic overlapping generations models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 69-83, June.
- GEANAKOPLOS, John D. & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heraklis M., .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
946, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aliprantis, C. D. & Florenzano, M. & Martins-da-Rocha, V. F. & Tourky, R., 2004.
"Equilibrium analysis in financial markets with countably many securities,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 683-699, September.
- Charalambos Aliprantis & Monique Florenzano & Victor-Filipe Martins-Da-Rocha & Rabee Tourky, 2004. "Equilibrium analysis in financial markets with countably many securities," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00086810, HAL.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
- Masahiro Okuno & Itzhak Zilcha, 1980. "On the Efficiency of a Competitive Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Monetary Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 797-807.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/601 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aliprantis, C. D. & D. J. Brown & I. A. Polyrakis & J. Werner, 1996.
"Portfolio Dominance and Optimality in Infinite Security Markets,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
383, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Aliprantis, C. D. & Brown, D. J. & Polyrakis, I. A. & Werner, J., 1998. "Portfolio dominance and optimality in infinite security markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 347-366, October.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M., 1976. "A complete characterization of efficiency for a general capital accumulation model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 325-337, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jetheo:v:143:y:2008:i:1:p:442-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.