Pareto optimality in continuous-time OLG economies
The aim of this paper is the achievement of a complete characterization of the Pareto optimality of competitive equilibria for deterministic, pure exchange, continuous-time economies with a countable number of overlapping generations, where each consumer's life-span consists in a bounded interval of time. For such an environment, we obtain separate sufficient and necessary conditions for Pareto optimality in the form of the Cass' criterion, that is, in terms of the equilibrium prices. However, these conditions are not equivalent in general. Therefore, in order to get that equivalence we are compelled to impose certain restrictions, either on consumers' lifetimes, assuming that all of them have the same longevity, or on the dynamic behaviour of relative intertemporal equilibrium prices. In both cases, we are able to derive a single condition that is sufficient and necessary for efficiency, thus achieving full characterizations.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2002.
"Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 631-662, March.
- Chris Shannon & William R. Zame, 2000. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," GE, Growth, Math methods 9912001, EconWPA.
- Shannon, Chris & Zame, William R., 1999. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3fv586x6, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Chris Shannon and William R. Zame., 1999. "Quadratic Concavity and Determinacy of Equilibrium," Economics Working Papers E99-271, University of California at Berkeley.
- Chattopadhyay, Subir & Gottardi, Piero, 1999.
"Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 21-67, November.
- Subir Chattopadhyay & Piero Gottardi, 1999. "Stochastic OLG Models, Market Structure, and Optimality," Working Papers 99-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Piero Gottardi & Subir Chattopadhyay, 1999. "- Stochastic Olg Models, Market Structure And Optimality," Working Papers. Serie AD 1999-15, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Burke, Jonathan L., 1996. "Equilibrium for Overlapping Generations in Continuous Time," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 364-390, August.
- Mas-Colell, Andreu & Zame, William R., 1991. "Equilibrium theory in infinite dimensional spaces," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 34, pages 1835-1898 Elsevier.
- Molina-Abraldes, Antonio & Pintos-Clapes, Juan, 2003. "A complete characterization of Pareto optimality for general OLG economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 235-252, December.
- Cass, David, 1972. "On capital overaccumulation in the aggregative, neoclassical model of economic growth: A complete characterization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 200-223, April.
- Balasko, Yves & Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1980. "Existence of competitive equilibrium in a general overlapping-generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 307-322, December.
- Majumdar, Mukul, 1972. "Some general theorems on efficiency prices with an infinite-dimensional commodity space," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-13, August.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834.
- DEMICHELIS, Stefano & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 2000. "Life-span and the determinacy of equilibrium in economies of overlapping generations," CORE Discussion Papers 2000034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1985.
"Debt, Deficits, and Finite Horizons,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 223-47, April.
- Balasko, Yves & Shell, Karl, 1980. "The overlapping-generations model, I: The case of pure exchange without money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 281-306, December.
- Benveniste, Lawrence M., 1976. "A complete characterization of efficiency for a general capital accumulation model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 325-337, April.
- Masahiro Okuno & Itzhak Zilcha, 1980. "On the Efficiency of a Competitive Equilibrium in Infinite Horizon Monetary Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 797-807.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1958. "An Exact Consumption-Loan Model of Interest with or without the Social Contrivance of Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 467.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:44:y:2008:i:9-10:p:933-950. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.