Subordinated debt, market discipline, and banks' risk taking
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Yehning Chen, 1999. "Banking Panics: The Role of the First-Come, First-Served Rule and Information Externalities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 946-968, October.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1998. "Optimal Financial Crises," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(4), pages 1245-1284, August.
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984.
"Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Working Papers 367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1147, David K. Levine.
- Diana Hancock & Myron Kwast, 2001.
"Using Subordinated Debt to Monitor Bank Holding Companies: Is it Feasible?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 147-187, October.
- Diana Hancock & Myron L. Kwast, 2001. "Using subordinated debt to monitor bank holding companies: is it feasible?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-22, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Chan, Yuk-Shee & Greenbaum, Stuart I & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992. " Is Fairly Priced Deposit Insurance Possible?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 227-245, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Andrea Sironi, 2001.
"An Analysis of European Banks' SND Issues and its Implications for the Design of a Mandatory Subordinated Debt Policy,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 233-266, October.
- Andrea Sironi, 2000. "An analysis of European banks SND issues and its implications for the design of a mandatory subordinated debt policy," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-41, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937, January.
- Calomiris, Charles W & Kahn, Charles M, 1991. "The Role of Demandable Debt in Structuring Optimal Banking Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 497-513, June.
- Mark Flannery, 2001. "The Faces of “Market Discipline”," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 107-119, October.
- Lang, William W. & Robertson, Douglas D., 2002. "Analysis of proposals for a minimum subordinated debt requirement1," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 115-136.
- John, Kose & John, Teresa A. & Senbet, Lemma W., 1991. "Risk-shifting incentives of depository institutions: A new perspective on federal deposit insurance reform," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 895-915, September.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1999. "Building an incentive-compatible safety net," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(10), pages 1499-1519, October.
- Blum, Jurg, 1999. "Do capital adequacy requirements reduce risks in banking?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 755-771, May.
- Kevin C. Murdock & Thomas F. Hellmann & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2000. "Liberalization, Moral Hazard in Banking, and Prudential Regulation: Are Capital Requirements Enough?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 147-165, March.
- Dow, James, 2000. "What Is Systemic Risk? Moral Hazard, Initial Shocks, and Propagation," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 18(2), pages 1-24, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kathleen McDill & Andrea M. Maechler, 2003. "Dynamic Depositor Discipline in U.S. Banks," IMF Working Papers 03/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Niu, Jijun, 2012. "An empirical analysis of the relation between bank charter value and risk taking," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 298-304.
- repec:eee:revfin:v:34:y:2017:i:c:p:10-32 is not listed on IDEAS
- Saibal Ghosh, 2015.
"Macroprudential regulation and bank behaviour: theory and evidence from a quasi-natural experiment,"
Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 138-159, July.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2014. "Macroprudential regulation and bank behavior: Theory and evidence from a quasi-natural experiment," MPRA Paper 65214, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iwatsubo, Kentaro, 2007.
"Bank capital shocks and portfolio risk: Evidence from Japan,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 166-186, March.
- Iwatsubo, Kentaro, 2005. "Bank Capital Shocks and Portfolio Risk: Evidence from Japan," CEI Working Paper Series 2004-24, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Marques Pereira, João André C. & Saito, Richard, 2015. "How banks respond to Central Bank supervision: Evidence from Brazil," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 19(C), pages 22-30.
- Niinimaki, J.-P., 2012. "Hidden loan losses, moral hazard and financial crises," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-14.
- Landskroner, Yoram & Paroush, Jacob, 2008. "Bank management and market discipline," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 395-414.
- Acharya, Viral V. & Amihud, Yakov & Litov, Lubomir, 2011.
"Creditor rights and corporate risk-taking,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 102(1), pages 150-166, October.
- Acharya, Viral V & Amihud, Yakov & Litov, Lubomir P., 2008. "Creditor Rights and Corporate Risk-taking," CEPR Discussion Papers 6697, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Yakov Amihud & Lubomir Litov, 2009. "Creditor rights and corporate risk-taking," NBER Working Papers 15569, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Gandrud & Mark Hallerberg, 2015. "Does Banking Union Worsen the EU's Democratic Deficit? The Need for Greater Supervisory Data Transparency," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 769-785, July.
- Arping, Stefan, 2010. "The pricing of bank debt guarantees," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 119-121, August.
- Greg Caldwell, 2005. "Subordinated Debt and Market Discipline in Canada," Staff Working Papers 05-40, Bank of Canada.
- Davide Avino & Thomas Conlon & John Cotter, 2016. "Credit Default Swaps as Indicators of Bank Financial Distress," Working Papers 201601, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Allen Berger & Rima Turk-Ariss, 2015. "Do Depositors Discipline Banks and Did Government Actions During the Recent Crisis Reduce this Discipline? An International Perspective," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 103-126, October.
- Nier, Erlend & Baumann, Ursel, 2006. "Market discipline, disclosure and moral hazard in banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 332-361, July.
- Baele, Lieven & De Bruyckere, Valerie & De Jonghe, Olivier & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2014.
"Do stock markets discipline US Bank Holding Companies: Just monitoring, or also influencing?,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 124-145.
- L. Baele & V. De Bruyckere & O. De Jonghe & R. Vander Vennet, 2012. "Do Stock Markets Discipline US Bank Holding Companies: Just Monitoring, or also In?uencing?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 12/827, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Baele, L.T.M. & De Bruyckere, V. & De Jonghe, O.G. & Vander Vennet, R., 2014. "Do stock markets discipline US bank holding companies : Just monitoring, or also influencing?," Other publications TiSEM b8371b2e-a7f1-4ede-9f4b-d, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bushman, Robert M., 2014. "Thoughts on financial accounting and the banking industry," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 384-395.
- Haq, Mamiza & Faff, Robert & Seth, Rama & Mohanty, Sunil, 2014. "Disciplinary tools and bank risk exposure," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 37-64.
- Karima Bouaiss & Catherine Refait-Alexandre & Hervé Alexandre, 2017. "Will Bank Transparency really Help Financial Markets and Regulators?," Working Papers hal-01637917, HAL.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4060 is not listed on IDEAS
- Spiros Bougheas & Alan Kirman, 2015. "Bank Insolvencies, Priority Claims and Systemic Risk," Discussion Papers 2015/08, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Thomas Conlon & John Cotter & Philip Molyneux, 2018. "Beyond Common Equity - The Influence of Secondary Capital on Bank Insolvency Risk," Working Papers 201806, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Daher, Hassan & Masih, A.Mansur M. & Ibrahim, Mansor H., 2014. "Islamic Banks’ Capital Buffers: Unique Risk Exposures and the Disciplining Effects of Charter Values," MPRA Paper 56947, University Library of Munich, Germany.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:26:y:2002:i:7:p:1427-1441. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.