Functional hourly forecasting of water temperature
The paper describes the problem of forecasting water temperatures on an hourly basis using previous water and air temperatures as predictors. Both time series are decomposed using functional principal components, leading to low dimensional vector autoregressive modeling. The principal component scores mirror serial correlation, which is also incorporated in the model. The modeling exercise is motivated by and demonstrated with data collected in the German river Wupper, and the approach is contrasted to alternative routines which have been suggested in statistics and hydrology.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Szymon Borak & Wolfgang Härdle & Enno Mammen & Byeong U. Park, 2007.
"Time Series Modelling with Semiparametric Factor Dynamics,"
SFB 649 Discussion Papers
SFB649DP2007-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Park, Byeong U. & Mammen, Enno & HÃ¤rdle, Wolfgang & Borak, Szymon, 2009. "Time Series Modelling With Semiparametric Factor Dynamics," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 284-298.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Md. Shahid Ullah, 2005.
"Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: a functional data approach,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
2/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Shahid Ullah, Md., 2007. "Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: A functional data approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4942-4956, June.
- Heij, Christiaan & Groenen, Patrick J.F. & van Dijk, Dick, 2007.
"Forecast comparison of principal component regression and principal covariate regression,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3612-3625, April.
- Heij, C. & Groenen, P.J.F. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2005. "Forecast comparison of principal component regression and principal covariate regression," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2005-28, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Liu, Dandan & Jansen, Dennis W., 2007. "Macroeconomic forecasting using structural factor analysis," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 655-677.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2005. "Implications of Dynamic Factor Models for VAR Analysis," NBER Working Papers 11467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock J.H. & Watson M.W., 2002. "Forecasting Using Principal Components From a Large Number of Predictors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1167-1179, December.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, November.
- Stock, James H. & Watson, Mark W., 2006. "Forecasting with Many Predictors," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier.
- Cornillon, P.-A. & Imam, W. & Matzner-Lober, E., 2008. "Forecasting time series using principal component analysis with respect to instrumental variables," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 1269-1280, January.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, November.
- Cottet R. & Smith M., 2003. "Bayesian Modeling and Forecasting of Intraday Electricity Load," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 839-849, January.
- Bircan Erbas & Rob J. Hyndman & Dorota M. Gertig, 2005. "Forecasting age-specific breast cancer mortality using functional data models," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 3/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfor:v:26:y::i:4:p:684-699. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.