Bootstrap prediction intervals for power-transformed time series
In this paper we propose a bootstrap resampling scheme to construct prediction intervals for future values of a variable after a linear ARIMA model has been fitted to a power transformation of it. The advantages over existing methods for computing prediction intervals of power transformed time series are that the proposed bootstrap intervals incorporate the variability due to parameter estimation, and do not rely on distributional assumptions neither on the original variable nor on the transformed one. We show the good behavior of the bootstrap approach versus alternative procedures by means of Monte Carlo experiments. Finally, the procedure is illustrated by analysing three real time series data sets.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chatfield, Chris, 1993. "Calculating Interval Forecasts: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 143-144, April.
- Chatfield, Chris, 1993. "Calculating Interval Forecasts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 121-135, April.
- Lutz Kilian, 1998. "Confidence intervals for impulse responses under departures from normality," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 1-29.
- Foster A. M. & Tian L. & Wei L. J., 2001. "Estimation for the Box-Cox Transformation Model Without Assuming Parametric Error Distribution," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1097-1101, September.
- Lorenzo Pascual & Juan Romo & Esther Ruiz, 2004.
"Bootstrap predictive inference for ARIMA processes,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(4), pages 449-465, 07.
- Ruiz, Esther & Romo, Juan & Pascual, L., 1999. "Bootstrap Predictive Inference for Arima Processes," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6283, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Pascual, Lorenzo & Romo, Juan & Ruiz, Esther, 2001. "Effects of parameter estimation on prediction densities: a bootstrap approach," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 83-103.
- Ruiz, Esther & Romo, Juan & Pascual, L., 1999. "Effects of parameter estimation on prediction densities a bootstrap approach," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6304, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Anthony Tay & Kenneth F. Wallis, 2000. "Density Forecasting: A Survey," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0370, Econometric Society.
- Collins, Sean, 1991. "Prediction Techniques for Box-Cox Regression Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 267-277, July.
- Sean Collins, 1991. "Prediction techniques for Box-Cox regression models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 148, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Harvey, David I. & Newbold, Paul, 2003. "The non-normality of some macroeconomic forecast errors," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-653.
- Robinson, P M, 1991. "Best Nonlinear Three-Stage Least Squares Estimation of Certain Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 755-786, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)