Impact of IMF-related news on capital markets: Further evidence from bond spreads in Indonesia and Korea
The IMF's effects on private capital markets have attracted increasing attention in the literature. This paper examines whether IMF-related news during the Asian crisis contains information regarding the changes in sovereign bond spreads of Indonesia and Korea. Our results indicate that other countries' IMF-related news increases these countries' bond spreads. Both in Indonesia and Korea, the countries' own news associated with program negotiations and approval decreases bond spreads. With respect to the interpretations of the impact of IMF news on private capital markets, we show that the current interpretations vary and identify this issue as an important future research agenda.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ali Kutan & Brasukra Sudjana, 2003. "Investor reaction to IMF actions in the indonesian financial crisis," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(3), pages 181-190.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2005.
"The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets,"
- Ashoka Mody & Barry J. Eichengreen & Kenneth Kletzer, 2005. "The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets," IMF Working Papers 05/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Kletzer, Kenneth & Mody, Ashoka, 2005. "The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt84s7r0jf, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Barry Eichengreen & Kenneth Kletzer & Ashoka Mody, 2005. "The IMF in a World of Private Capital Markets," NBER Working Papers 11198, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Kenneth M. Kletzer & Ashoka Mody, 2005. "The IMF in a world of private capital markets," Working Paper Series 2005-12, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Sander, Harald & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2003. "Contagion and causality: an empirical investigation of four Asian crisis episodes," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 171-186, April.
- Kanokwan Chancharoenchai & Sel Dibooglu, 2006. "Volatility Spillovers and Contagion During the Asian Crisis: Evidence from Six Southeast Asian Stock Markets," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(2), pages 4-17, April.
- Ender Su & Thomas W. Knowles, 2006. "Asian Pacific Stock Market Volatility Modeling and Value at Risk Analysis," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(2), pages 18-62, April.
- Kanokwan Chancharoenchai & Sel Diboog¬Lu & Ike Mathur, 2005. "Stock Returns and the Macroeconomic Environment Prior to the Asian Crisis in Selected Southeast Asian Countries," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(4), pages 38-56, August.
- Batten, Jonathan A. & Fetherston, Thomas A. & Hoontrakul, Pongsak, 2006. "Factors affecting the yields of emerging market issuers: Evidence from the Asia-Pacific region," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 57-70, February.
- Longstaff, Francis A & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1995. " A Simple Approach to Valuing Risky Fixed and Floating Rate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(3), pages 789-819, July.
- Hayo, Bernd & Kutan, Ali M., 2005. "IMF-related news and emerging financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1126-1142, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:intfin:v:18:y:2008:i:2:p:147-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.