Valuation of guaranteed minimum maturity benefits in variable annuities with surrender options
We present a numerical approach to the pricing of guaranteed minimum maturity benefits embedded in variable annuity contracts in the case where the guarantees can be surrendered at any time prior to maturity that improves on current approaches. Surrender charges are important in practice and are imposed as a way of discouraging early termination of variable annuity contracts. We formulate the valuation framework and focus on the surrender option as an American put option pricing problem and derive the corresponding pricing partial differential equation by using hedging arguments and Itô’s Lemma. Given the underlying stochastic evolution of the fund, we also present the associated transition density partial differential equation allowing us to develop solutions. An explicit integral expression for the pricing partial differential equation is then presented with the aid of Duhamel’s principle. Our analysis is relevant to risk management applications since we derive an expression of the delta for the sensitivity analysis of the guarantee fees with respect to changes in the underlying fund value. We provide algorithms for implementing the integral expressions for the price, the corresponding early exercise boundary and the delta of the surrender option. We quantify and assess the sensitivity of the prices, early exercise boundaries and deltas to changes in the underlying variables including an analysis of the fair insurance fees.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 69 (2016)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Jing-zhi & Subrahmanyam, Marti G & Yu, G George, 1996. "Pricing and Hedging American Options: A Recursive Integration Method," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 277-300.
- Milevsky, Moshe A. & Salisbury, Thomas S., 2006. "Financial valuation of guaranteed minimum withdrawal benefits," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 21-38, February.
- Costabile, Massimo & Massabó, Ivar & Russo, Emilio, 2008. "A binomial model for valuing equity-linked policies embedding surrender options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 873-886, June.
- Carl Chiarella & Jonathan Ziveyi, 2014. "Pricing American options written on two underlying assets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 409-426, March.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 2008.
"Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 5, pages 85-103
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Peter Carr & Robert Jarrow & Ravi Myneni, 1992. "Alternative Characterizations Of American Put Options," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 87-106.
- Siim Kallast & Andi Kivinukk, 2003. "Pricing and Hedging American Options Using Approximations by Kim Integral Equations," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 361-383.
- Siu, Tak Kuen, 2005. "Fair valuation of participating policies with surrender options and regime switching," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 533-552, December.
- Siim Kallast & Andi Kivinukk, 2003. "Pricing and Hedging American Options Using Approximations by Kim Integral Equations," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 7(3), pages 361-383.
- Shen, Weixi & Xu, Huiping, 2005. "The valuation of unit-linked policies with or without surrender options," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 79-92, February.
- Bernard, Carole & MacKay, Anne & Muehlbeyer, Max, 2014. "Optimal surrender policy for variable annuity guarantees," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 116-128.
- Hyndman, Cody B. & Wenger, Menachem, 2014. "Valuation perspectives and decompositions for variable annuities with GMWB riders," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 283-290.
- S. D. Jacka, 1991. "Optimal Stopping and the American Put," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 1-14.
- Bauer, Daniel & Kling, Alexander & Russ, Jochen, 2008. "A Universal Pricing Framework for Guaranteed Minimum Benefits in Variable Annuities," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 621-651, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:69:y:2016:i:c:p:127-137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.