Additivity properties for Value-at-Risk under Archimedean dependence and heavy-tailedness
Mainly due to new capital adequacy standards for banking and insurance, an increased interest exists in the aggregation properties of risk measures like Value-at-Risk (VaR). We show how VaR can change from sub to superadditivity depending on the properties of the underlying model. Mainly, the switch from a finite to an infinite mean model gives a completely different asymptotic behaviour. Our main result proves a conjecture made in Barbe etÂ al. [Barbe, P., Fougères, A.L., Genest, C., 2006. On the tail behavior of sums of dependent risks. ASTIN Bull. 36(2), 361-374].
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Casper G. de Vries & Gennady Samorodnitsky & Bjørn N. Jorgensen & Sarma Mandira & Jon Danielsson, 2005.
"Subadditivity Re–Examined: the Case for Value-at-Risk,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp549, Financial Markets Group.
- Jon Danielsson & Bjørn N. Jorgensen & Sarma Mandira & Gennady Samorodnitsky & C. G. de Vries, 2005. "Subadditivity re–examined: the case for value-at-risk," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24668, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Muller, Alfred, 1997. "Stop-loss order for portfolios of dependent risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 219-223, December.
- Degen, Matthias & Embrechts, Paul & Lambrigger, Dominik D., 2007. "The Quantitative Modeling of Operational Risk: Between G-and-H and EVT," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 265-291, November.
- J. Dhaene & R. J. A. Laeven & S. Vanduffel & G. Darkiewicz & M. J. Goovaerts, 2008. "Can a Coherent Risk Measure Be Too Subadditive?," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 75(2), pages 365-386.
- Wei, Gang & Hu, Taizhong, 2002. "Supermodular dependence ordering on a class of multivariate copulas," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 375-385, May.
- Alink, Stan & Lowe, Matthias & V. Wuthrich, Mario, 2004. "Diversification of aggregate dependent risks," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 77-95, August.
- Barbe, Philippe & Fougères, Anne-Laure & Genest, Christian, 2006. "On the Tail Behavior of Sums of Dependent Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(02), pages 361-373, November.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marco Moscadelli, 2004. "The modelling of operational risk: experience with the analysis of the data collected by the Basel Committee," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 517, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:44:y:2009:i:2:p:164-169. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.