Coalition Formation and Potential Games
In this paper we study the formation of coalition structures in situations described by a cooperative game. Players choose independently which coalition they want to join. The payoffs to the players are determined by an allocation rule on the underlying game and the coalition structure that results from the strategies of the players according to some formation rule. We study two well-known coalition structure formation rules. We show that for both formation rules there exists a unique component efficient allocation rule that results in a potential game and study the coalition structures resulting from potential maximizing strategy profiles.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slikker, Marco & Dutta, Bhaskar & van den Nouweland, Anne & Tijs, Stef, 2000.
"Potential maximizers and network formation,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Slikker, M. & Dutta, P.K. & van den Nouweland, C.G.A.M. & Tijs, S.H., 1998. "Potential Maximizers and Network Formation," Research Memorandum 758, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Slikker, M. & Dutta, B. & Tijs, S.H. & van den Nouweland, C.G.A.M., 2000. "Potential maximizers and network formation," Other publications TiSEM a4848315-a441-4d55-acde-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Meca-Martinez, A. & Sánchez-Soriano, J. & Garcia-Jurado, I. & Tijs, S.H., 1998. "Strong equilibria in claim games corresponding to convex games," Other publications TiSEM 5dcbfae1-fc1c-4d6b-b032-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Ui, Takashi, 2000. "A Shapley Value Representation of Potential Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 121-135, April.
- Qin, Cheng-Zhong, 1996. "Endogenous Formation of Cooperation Structures," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 218-226, April.
- Hart, Sergiu & Kurz, Mordecai, 1983. "Endogenous Formation of Coalitions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1047-1064, July.
- (*), J. Sánchez-Soriano & Stef Tijs & Ana Meca-Martínez & I. García-Jurando, 1998. "Strong equilibria in claim games corresponding to convex games," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 27(2), pages 211-217.
- Monderer, Dov & Shapley, Lloyd S., 1996. "Potential Games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 124-143, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)