Optimal single machine scheduling of products with components and changeover cost
We consider the problem of scheduling products with components on a single machine, where changeovers incur fixed costs. The objective is to minimize the weighted sum of total flow time and changeover cost. We provide properties of optimal solutions and develop an explicit characterization of optimal sequences, while showing that this characterization has recurrent properties. Our structural results have interesting implications for practitioners, primarily that the structure of optimal sequences is robust to changes in demand.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 233 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lin, Bertrand M. T., 2002. "Fabrication scheduling on a single machine with due date constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 95-105, January.
- Kovalyov, M. Y. & Potts, C. N. & Strusevich, V. A., 2004. "Batching decisions for assembly production systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(3), pages 620-642, September.
- Gregory Dobson & Uday S. Karmarkar & Jeffrey L. Rummel, 1987. "Batching to Minimize Flow Times on One Machine," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(6), pages 784-799, June.
- Cheng, T.C.E. & Ng, C.T. & Yuan, J.J., 2008. "Single-machine scheduling of multi-operation jobs without missing operations to minimize the total completion time," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(2), pages 320-331, December.
- T.C. Cheng & Mikhail Kovalyov, 2001. "Single Supplier Scheduling for Multiple Deliveries," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 107(1), pages 51-63, October.
- Allahverdi, Ali & Ng, C.T. & Cheng, T.C.E. & Kovalyov, Mikhail Y., 2008. "A survey of scheduling problems with setup times or costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(3), pages 985-1032, June.
- Mosheiov, Gur & Oron, Daniel, 2008. "A single machine batch scheduling problem with bounded batch size," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(3), pages 1069-1079, June.
- Gerodimos, Alex E. & Glass, Celia A. & Potts, Chris N., 2000. "Scheduling the production of two-component jobs on a single machine," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 250-259, January.
- Bongjin Gim & Min-Hong Han, 1997. "Economic scheduling of products with N components on a single machine," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 570-577, February.
- B. Lin & T. Cheng, 2005. "Two-Machine Flowshop Batching and Scheduling," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 133(1), pages 149-161, January.
- Potts, Chris N. & Kovalyov, Mikhail Y., 2000. "Scheduling with batching: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 228-249, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:233:y:2014:i:1:p:75-83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.