Fast algorithms for scheduling with learning effects and time-dependent processing times on a single machine
We consider scheduling problems with learning/deterioration effects and time-dependent processing times on a single machine, with or without due date assignment considerations. By reducing them to a special assignment problem on product matrices, we solve all these problems in near-linear time. This improves the time complexity of previous algorithms for some scheduling problems and establishes the fast polynomial solvability for several other problems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 225 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rustogi, Kabir & Strusevich, Vitaly A., 2012. "Simple matching vs linear assignment in scheduling models with positional effects: A critical review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(3), pages 393-407.
- Wang, Xiuli & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2007. "Single-machine scheduling with deteriorating jobs and learning effects to minimize the makespan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(1), pages 57-70, April.
- Biskup, Dirk, 1999. "Single-machine scheduling with learning considerations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 173-178, May.
- Biskup, Dirk, 2008. "A state-of-the-art review on scheduling with learning effects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(2), pages 315-329, July.
- Kunnathur, Anand S. & Gupta, Sushil K., 1990. "Minimizing the makespan with late start penalties added to processing times in a single facility scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 56-64, July.
- Wang, Ji-Bo, 2007. "Single-machine scheduling problems with the effects of learning and deterioration," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 397-402, August.
- Cheng, T. C. E. & Ding, Q. & Lin, B. M. T., 2004. "A concise survey of scheduling with time-dependent processing times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 1-13, January.
- Leyvand, Yaron & Shabtay, Dvir & Steiner, George, 2010. "A unified approach for scheduling with convex resource consumption functions using positional penalties," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 206(2), pages 301-312, October.
- Koulamas, Christos & Gupta, Sushil & Kyparisis, George J., 2010. "A unified analysis for the single-machine scheduling problem with controllable and non-controllable variable job processing times," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(2), pages 479-482, September.
- Slotnick, Susan A. & Sobel, Matthew J., 2005. "Manufacturing lead-time rules: Customer retention versus tardiness costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(3), pages 825-856, June.
- Mosheiov, Gur, 2001. "Scheduling problems with a learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(3), pages 687-693, August.
- Gordon, Valery & Proth, Jean-Marie & Chu, Chengbin, 2002. "A survey of the state-of-the-art of common due date assignment and scheduling research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 1-25, May.
- Wen-Chiung Lee, 2004. "A Note on Deteriorating Jobs and Learning in Single-Machine Scheduling Problems," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 3(1), pages 83-89, April.
- Gupta, Sushil K & Kunnathur, Anand S & Dandapani, Krishnan, 1987. "Optimal repayment policies for multiple loans," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 323-330.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:3:p:547-551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.