Production and availability policies through the Markov Decision Process and myopic methods for contractual and selective orders
In this paper, we consider a supply chain with one manufacturer, one retailer, and some online customers. In addition to supplying the retailer, manufacturers may selectively take orders from individuals online. Through the Markov Decision Process, we explore the optimal production and availability policy for a manufacturer to determine whether to produce one more unit of products and whether to indicate “in stock” or “out of stock” on website. We measure the benefits and influences of adding online customers with and without the retailer’s inventory information sharing. We also simulate the production and availability policy via a myopic method, which can be implemented easily in the real world. Prediction of simple switching functions for the production and availability is proposed. We find the information sharing, production capacity and unit profit from online orders are the primary factors influencing manufacturer profits and optimal policy. The manufacturer might reserve 50% production capacity for contractual orders from the retailer and devote the remaining capacity to selective orders from spontaneous online customers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Teunter, Ruud H. & Klein Haneveld, Willem K., 2008. "Dynamic inventory rationing strategies for inventory systems with two demand classes, Poisson demand and backordering," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 190(1), pages 156-178, October.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 2004.
"Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem,"
INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1782-1790, December.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 1960. "Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 475-490, July.
- Edward Ignall & Arthur F. Veinott, Jr., 1969. "Optimality of Myopic Inventory Policies for Several Substitute Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(5), pages 284-304, January.
- Srinagesh Gavirneni, 2002. "Information Flows in Capacitated Supply Chains with Fixed Ordering Costs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(5), pages 644-651, May.
- Leroy B. Schwarz & Linus Schrage, 1975. "Optimal and System Myopic Policies for Multi-Echelon Production/Inventory Assembly Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(11), pages 1285-1294, July.
- Fangruo Chen, 1998. "Echelon Reorder Points, Installation Reorder Points, and the Value of Centralized Demand Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S221-S234, December.
- Lode Li, 2002.
"Information Sharing in a Supply Chain with Horizontal Competition,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm288, Yale School of Management.
- Lode Li, 2002. "Information Sharing in a Supply Chain with Horizontal Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(9), pages 1196-1212, September.
- Srinagesh Gavirneni & Roman Kapuscinski & Sridhar Tayur, 1999. "Value of Information in Capacitated Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(1), pages 16-24, January.
- Albert Y. Ha, 1997. "Inventory Rationing in a Make-to-Stock Production System with Several Demand Classes and Lost Sales," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(8), pages 1093-1103, August.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Marshall Fisher, 2000. "Supply Chain Inventory Management and the Value of Shared Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1032-1048, August.
- Chen, Jing, 2011. "The impact of sharing customer returns information in a supply chain with and without a buyback policy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(3), pages 478-488, September.
- Guan, Ruoxi & Zhao, Xiaobo, 2010. "On contracts for VMI program with continuous review (r, Q) policy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 207(2), pages 656-667, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:3:p:383-392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.