The rollon–rolloff waste collection vehicle routing problem with time windows
This study introduces a rollon–rolloff waste collection vehicle routing problem involving large containers that accumulate huge amounts of garbage at construction sites and shopping districts. In this problem, tractors move one container at a time between customer locations, a depot, disposal facilities, and container storage yards. The complicated constraints discussed in this study arise from having multiple disposal facilities, multiple container storage yards, seven service types of customer demands, different time windows for customer demands and facilities, various types and sizes of containers, and the lunch break of tractor drivers. In addition, real-world issues, such as changing service types, multiple demands at a customer’s location, and tractors with different work schedules, are dealt with. This study proposes a large neighborhood search based iterative heuristic approach consisting of several algorithms for the problem. The effectiveness of the proposed methods is demonstrated by computational experiments using benchmark data, some instances of which are derived from real-world problems.
Volume (Year): 224 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kulcar, Thierry, 1996. "Optimizing solid waste collection in Brussels," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 71-77, April.
- Abdelkader Sbihi & Richard Eglese, 2010.
"Combinatorial optimization and Green Logistics,"
Annals of Operations Research,
Springer, vol. 175(1), pages 159-175, March.
- Abdelkader Sbihi & Richard W. Eglese, 2010. "Combinatorial optimization and Green Logistics," Post-Print hal-00644111, HAL.
- Tung, Dang Vu & Pinnoi, Anulark, 2000. "Vehicle routing-scheduling for waste collection in Hanoi," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 449-468, September.
- Donald D. Eisenstein & Ananth. V. Iyer, 1997. "Garbage Collection in Chicago: A Dynamic Scheduling Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(7), pages 922-933, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:3:p:466-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.