Concepts for safety stock determination under stochastic demand and different types of random production yield
We consider a manufacturer’s stochastic production/inventory problem under periodic review and present methods for safety stock determination to cope with uncertainties that are caused by stochastic demand and different types of yield randomness. Following well-proven inventory control concepts for this problem type, we focus on a critical stock policy with a linear order release rule. A central parameter of this type of policy is given by the safety stock value. When non-zero manufacturing lead times are taken into account in the random yield context, it turns out that safety stocks have to be determined that vary from period to period. We present a simple approach for calculating these dynamic safety stocks for different yield models. Additionally, we suggest approaches for determining appropriate static safety stocks that are easier to apply in practice. In a simulation study we investigate the performance of the proposed safety stock variants.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burak Kazaz, 2004. "Production Planning Under Yield and Demand Uncertainty with Yield-Dependent Cost and Price," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 209-224, October.
- Philip C. Jones & Timothy J. Lowe & Rodney D. Traub & Greg Kegler, 2001. "Matching Supply and Demand: The Value of a Second Chance in Producing Hybrid Seed Corn," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(2), pages 122-137, April.
- Caner TaskIn, Z. & Tamer Ünal, A., 2009. "Tactical level planning in float glass manufacturing with co-production, random yields and substitutable products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(1), pages 252-261, November.
- Inderfurth, Karl, 2009. "How to protect against demand and yield risks in MRP systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 474-481, October.
- Guu, Sy-Ming & Zhang, Alex X., 2003. "The finite multiple lot sizing problem with interrupted geometric yield and holding costs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 145(3), pages 635-644, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:2:p:293-301. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.