Tabu search for the single row facility layout problem using exhaustive 2-opt and insertion neighborhoods
The single row facility layout problem (SRFLP) is the problem of arranging facilities with given lengths on a line, while minimizing the weighted sum of the distances between all pairs of facilities. The problem is NP-hard. In this paper, we present two tabu search implementations, one involving an exhaustive search of the 2-opt neighborhood and the other involving an exhaustive search of the insertion neighborhood. We also present techniques to significantly speed up the search of the two neighborhoods. Our computational experiments show that the speed up techniques are effective, and our tabu search implementations are competitive. Our tabu search implementations improved previously known best solutions for 23 out of the 43 large sized SRFLP benchmark instances.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heragu, Sunderesh S. & Alfa, Attahiru Sule, 1992. "Experimental analysis of simulated annealing based algorithms for the layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 190-202, March.
- Samarghandi, Hamed & Eshghi, Kourosh, 2010. "An efficient tabu algorithm for the single row facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(1), pages 98-105, August.
- Datta, Dilip & Amaral, André R.S. & Figueira, José Rui, 2011. "Single row facility layout problem using a permutation-based genetic algorithm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(2), pages 388-394, September.
- Heragu, Sunderesh S. & Kusiak, Andrew, 1991. "Efficient models for the facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-13, July.
- Ravi Kumar, K. & Hadjinicola, George C. & Lin, Ting-li, 1995. "A heuristic procedure for the single-row facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 65-73, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:1:p:93-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.