Tabu search for the single row facility layout problem using exhaustive 2-opt and insertion neighborhoods
The single row facility layout problem (SRFLP) is the problem of arranging facilities with given lengths on a line, while minimizing the weighted sum of the distances between all pairs of facilities. The problem is NP-hard. In this paper, we present two tabu search implementations, one involving an exhaustive search of the 2-opt neighborhood and the other involving an exhaustive search of the insertion neighborhood. We also present techniques to significantly speed up the search of the two neighborhoods. Our computational experiments show that the speed up techniques are effective, and our tabu search implementations are competitive. Our tabu search implementations improved previously known best solutions for 23 out of the 43 large sized SRFLP benchmark instances.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 224 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Datta, Dilip & Amaral, André R.S. & Figueira, José Rui, 2011. "Single row facility layout problem using a permutation-based genetic algorithm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 213(2), pages 388-394, September.
- Samarghandi, Hamed & Eshghi, Kourosh, 2010. "An efficient tabu algorithm for the single row facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(1), pages 98-105, August.
- Heragu, Sunderesh S. & Alfa, Attahiru Sule, 1992. "Experimental analysis of simulated annealing based algorithms for the layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 190-202, March.
- Heragu, Sunderesh S. & Kusiak, Andrew, 1991. "Efficient models for the facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-13, July.
- Ravi Kumar, K. & Hadjinicola, George C. & Lin, Ting-li, 1995. "A heuristic procedure for the single-row facility layout problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 65-73, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:224:y:2013:i:1:p:93-100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.