Aggregate production planning for process industries under oligopolistic competition
We consider a competitive version of the traditional aggregate production planning model with capacity constraints. In the general case, multiple products are produced by a few competing producers (oligopoly) with limited capacities. Production quantities, prices and consequently profits depend on production and allocation decisions of each producer. In addition, there is competition for the raw material whose supplies are limited, and where prices reflect these limitations. Such situations have recently occurred in several process industry settings including petro-refining, petrochemicals, basic chemicals, cement, fertilizers, pharmaceuticals, rubber, paper, food processing and metals. We use a successive “Bertrand–Cournot” framework to address this problem and to determine optimal production quantities, prices and profits at the producers and at the raw material supplier. Our analysis allows a new way to understand and evaluate the marginal value of additional capacity when there is competition for the market and raw materials.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jack High (ed.), 2001. "Competition," Books, Edward Elgar, number 1751, 6.
- Nam, Sang-jin & Logendran, Rasaratnam, 1992. "Aggregate production planning -- A survey of models and methodologies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 255-272, September.
- Fernando Bernstein & Awi Federgruen, 2005. "Decentralized Supply Chains with Competing Retailers Under Demand Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 18-29, January.
- Leonard F. Herk, 1993. "Consumer Choice and Cournot Behavior in Capacity-Constrained Duopoly Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(3), pages 399-417, Autumn.
- Griffin, James M, 1985. "OPEC Behavior: A Test of Alternative Hypotheses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 954-63, December.
- Uday Karmarkar & Richard Pitbladdo, 1993. "Internal Pricing and Cost Allocation in a Model of Multiproduct Competition with Finite Capacity Increments," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(9), pages 1039-1053, September.
- Haskel, Jonathan & Martin, Christopher, 1994. "Capacity and Competition: Empirical Evidence on UK Panel Data," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 23-44, March.
- Abiru, Masahiro, 1988. "Vertical Integration, Variable Proportions and Successive Oligopolies," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 315-25, March.
- Ziss, Steffen, 1995. "Vertical Separation and Horizontal Mergers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 63-75, March.
- Greenhut, M L & Ohta, H, 1979. "Vertical Integration of Successive Oligopolists," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 137-41, March.
- Fernando Bernstein & Gregory A. DeCroix, 2004. "Decentralized Pricing and Capacity Decisions in a Multitier System with Modular Assembly," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1293-1308, September.
- Fred Hanssmann & Sidney W. Hess, 1960. "A Linear Programming Approach to Production and Employment Scheduling," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 0(1), pages 46-51, January.
- Karmarkar, Uday & Pitbladdo, Richard, 1994. "Product-line selection, production decisions and allocation of common fixed costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 17-33, February.
- Charles J. Corbett & Uday S. Karmarkar, 2001. "Competition and Structure in Serial Supply Chains with Deterministic Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(7), pages 966-978, July.
- Scott M. Carr & Uday S. Karmarkar, 2005. "Competition in Multiechelon Assembly Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 45-59, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:3:p:680-689. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.