A post-improvement procedure for the mixed load school bus routing problem
This paper aims to develop a mixed load algorithm for the school bus routing problem (SBRP) and measure its effects on the number of required vehicles. SBRP seeks to find optimal routes for a fleet of vehicles, where each vehicle transports students from their homes and to their schools while satisfying various constraints. When mixed load is allowed, students of different schools can get on the same bus at the same time. Although many of real world SBRP allow mixed load, only a few studies have considered these cases. In this paper, we present a new mixed load improvement algorithm and compare it with the only existing algorithm from the literature. Benchmark problems are proposed to compare the performances of algorithms and to stimulate other researchers’ further study. The proposed algorithm outperforms the existing algorithm on the benchmark problem instances. It has also been successfully applied to some of real-world SBRP and could reduce the required number of vehicles compared with the current practice.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Belfiore, PatrIÂ´cia & Yoshida Yoshizaki, Hugo Tsugunobu, 2009. "Scatter search for a real-life heterogeneous fleet vehicle routing problem with time windows and split deliveries in Brazil," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(3), pages 750-758, December.
- Fügenschuh, Armin, 2009. "Solving a school bus scheduling problem with integer programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(3), pages 867-884, March.
- Fleszar, Krzysztof & Osman, Ibrahim H. & Hindi, Khalil S., 2009. "A variable neighbourhood search algorithm for the open vehicle routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(3), pages 803-809, June.
- Dumas, Yvan & Desrosiers, Jacques & Soumis, Francois, 1991. "The pickup and delivery problem with time windows," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 7-22, September.
- Cortés, Cristián E. & Matamala, Martín & Contardo, Claudio, 2010. "The pickup and delivery problem with transfers: Formulation and a branch-and-cut solution method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(3), pages 711-724, February.
- Park, Junhyuk & Kim, Byung-In, 2010. "The school bus routing problem: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(2), pages 311-319, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:1:p:204-213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.