The newsvendor problem: Review and directions for future research
In this paper, we review the contributions to date for analyzing the newsvendor problem. Our focus is on examining the specific extensions for analyzing this problem in the context of modeling customer demand, supplier costs, and the buyer risk profile. More specifically, we analyze the impact of market price, marketing effort, and stocking quantity on customer demand; how supplier prices can serve as a coordination mechanism in a supply chain setting; integrating alternative supplier pricing policies within the newsvendor framework; and how the buyer's risk profile moderates the newsvendor order quantity decision. For each of these areas, we summarize the current literature and develop extensions. Finally, we also propose directions for future research.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edwin S. Mills, 1959. "Uncertainty and Price Theory," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 73(1), pages 116-130.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Maurice E. Schweitzer & Gérard P. Cachon, 2000. "Decision Bias in the Newsvendor Problem with a Known Demand Distribution: Experimental Evidence," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(3), pages 404-420, March.
- Lin, Chen-Sin & Kroll, Dennis E., 1997. "The single-item newsboy problem with dual performance measures and quantity discounts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 562-565, August.
- Werner Jammernegg & Peter Kischka, 2007. "Risk-averse and risk-taking newsvendors: a conditional expected value approach," Review of Managerial Science, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 93-110, April.
- Weng, Z. Kevin, 2004. "Coordinating order quantities between the manufacturer and the buyer: A generalized newsvendor model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(1), pages 148-161, July.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Christian Gollier & Harris Schlesinger, 1995. "The Risk-Averse (and Prudent) Newsboy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(5), pages 786-794, May.
- Baker, RC & Urban, Timothy L, 1988. "Single-period inventory dependent demand models," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 605-607.
- Keren, Baruch & Pliskin, Joseph S., 2006. "A benchmark solution for the risk-averse newsvendor problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(3), pages 1643-1650, November.
- Abel P. Jeuland & Steven M. Shugan, 1983. "Managing Channel Profits," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 239-272.
- Gotoh, Jun-ya & Takano, Yuichi, 2007. "Newsvendor solutions via conditional value-at-risk minimization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(1), pages 80-96, May.
- T. M. Whitin, 1955. "Inventory Control and Price Theory," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 61-68, October.
- Ahmed, Shabbir & Cakmak, Ulas & Shapiro, Alexander, 2007. "Coherent risk measures in inventory problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 226-238, October.
- Lau, Amy Hing Ling & Lau, Hon-Shiang & Wang, Jian-Cai, 2007. "Designing a quantity discount scheme for a newsvendor-type product with numerous heterogeneous retailers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(2), pages 585-600, July.
- James D. Dana, Jr. & Nicholas C. Petruzzi, 2001. "Note: The Newsvendor Model with Endogenous Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(11), pages 1488-1497, November.
- Urban, Timothy L. & Baker, R. C., 1997. "Optimal ordering and pricing policies in a single-period environment with multivariate demand and markdowns," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 573-583, December.
- Vishal Gaur & Sridhar Seshadri, 2005. "Hedging Inventory Risk Through Market Instruments," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 103-120, April.
- Urban, Timothy L., 2005. "Inventory models with inventory-level-dependent demand: A comprehensive review and unifying theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 792-804, May.
- Burke, Gerard J. & Carrillo, Janice E. & Vakharia, Asoo J., 2007. "Single versus multiple supplier sourcing strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(1), pages 95-112, October.
- Nihat Altintas & Feryal Erhun & Sridhar Tayur, 2008. "Quantity Discounts Under Demand Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 777-792, April.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2005. "Supply Chain Coordination with Revenue-Sharing Contracts: Strengths and Limitations," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Vipul Agrawal & Sridhar Seshadri, 2000. "Impact of Uncertainty and Risk Aversion on Price and Order Quantity in the Newsvendor Problem," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 410-423, July.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stanislav, 2002. "Conditional value-at-risk for general loss distributions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1443-1471, July.
- Anantaram Balakrishnan & Michael S. Pangburn & Euthemia Stavrulaki, 2008. "Integrating the Promotional and Service Roles of Retail Inventories," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 218-235, July.
- Wang, Charles X. & Webster, Scott, 2009. "The loss-averse newsvendor problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 93-105, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:213:y:2011:i:2:p:361-374. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.