Semiparametric estimation of a truncated regression model
This paper proposes a new semiparametric estimator for the truncated regression model under the independence restriction. Many existing approaches such as those in Lee (1992) and Honoré and Powell (1994) are moment-based methods, whereas our approach makes use of the entire truncated distribution. As a result, our approach is expected to require weaker identification and to have more favorable performance. Our simulation results suggest that our estimator outperforms that of Lee (1992) and Honoré and Powell (1994) in a variety of designs. Our estimator is shown to be consistent and asymptotically normal.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Honore, Bo E. & Powell, James L., 1994. "Pairwise difference estimators of censored and truncated regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 241-278.
- Whitney Newey, 1999.
"Conditional Moment Restrictions in Censored and Truncated Regression Models,"
99-15, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Newey, Whitney K., 2001. "Conditional Moment Restrictions In Censored And Truncated Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(05), pages 863-888, October.
- Lee, Myoung-jae, 1993.
"Quadratic mode regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 1-19.
- Stephen R. Cosslett, 2004. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation of Censored and Truncated Regressions via a Smoothed Self-Consistency Equation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(4), pages 1277-1293, 07.
- Pakes, Ariel & Pollard, David, 1989. "Simulation and the Asymptotics of Optimization Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1027-57, September.
- Powell, James L, 1986. "Symmetrically Trimmed Least Squares Estimation for Tobit Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1435-60, November.
- Jason Abrevaya, 1999. "Rank estimation of a transformation model with observed truncation," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(2), pages 292-305.
- Lee, L-F., 1990.
"Semiparametric Nonlinear Least Square Estimation of Truncated Regression Models,"
254, Minnesota - Center for Economic Research.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1992. "Semiparametic Nonlinear Least-Squares Estimation of Truncated Regression Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 52-94, March.
- Whitney K. Newey, 2004. "Efficient Semiparametric Estimation via Moment Restrictions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1877-1897, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:167:y:2012:i:2:p:297-304. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.