The comovement in inventories and in sales: Higher and higher
We re-examine changes in the cross-section correlation pattern of sales and inventories using Ng's [Ng, S., 2006, Testing cross-section correlation in panel data using spacings, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 24 (1), 12-23] "uniform spacing" method, which permits the estimation of the number of correlated pairs and focuses on the conditional correlations. In contrast to the literature, we find that the correlation of shocks across industries increased after the 'Great Moderation'.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2002.
"Has the Business Cycle Changed and Why?,"
NBER Working Papers
9127, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valerie A. Ramey & Daniel J. Vine, 2004.
"Tracking the Source of the Decline in GDP Volatility: An Analysis of the Automobile Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
10384, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valerie A. Ramey & Daniel J. Vine, 2005. "Tracking the source of the decline in GDP volatility: an analysis of the automobile industry," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Irvine, F. Owen & Schuh, Scott, 2005. "Inventory investment and output volatility," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 75-86, January.
- F. Owen Irvine & Scott Schuh, 2005. "The roles of comovement and inventory investment in the reduction of output volatility," Working Papers 05-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Ana Maria Herrero & Elena Pesavento, 2003.
"The Decline in U.S. Output Volatility: Structural Changes and Inventory Investment,"
0301, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Herrera, Ana Maria & Pesavento, Elena, 2005. "The Decline in U.S. Output Volatility: Structural Changes and Inventory Investment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 462-472, October.
- Ng, Serena, 2006. "Testing Cross-Section Correlation in Panel Data Using Spacings," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 12-23, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:99:y:2008:i:1:p:155-158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.