Necessity of the transversality condition for stochastic models with bounded or CRRA utility
This paper shows that the standard transversality condition (STVC) is nec-essary for optimality in stochastic models with bounded or constant-relative-risk- aversion (CRRA) utility under fairly general conditions. We consider an infinite-horizon stochastic maximization problem that takes a general form of a multi-sector growth model with a single consumption good. We show that the STVC is necessary if utility is bounded or logarithmic. We also show that the STVC is necessary in the case of non-logarithmic CRRA utility as long as lifetime utility is finite at the optimum. These results apply to various stochastic growth models, including real business cycle models with endoge-nous labor supply. Since unbounded utility functions that do not belong to the CRRA class are rather rare in applications, our results provide a fairly complete set of solutions regarding necessity of the STVC in practice.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. A. Brock, 1970. "On Existence of Weakly Maximal Programmes in a Multi-Sector Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(2), pages 275-280.
- Olson, Lars J., 1989. "Stochastic growth with irreversible investment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 101-129, February.
- Zilcha, Itzhak, 1976. "Characterization by prices of optimal programs under uncertainty," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 173-183, July.
- Michel, Philippe, 1990. "Some Clarifications on the Transversality Condition," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 705-23, May.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2002.
"A simple proof of the necessity of the transversality condition,"
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 427-433.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2001. "A Simple Proof of the Necessity of the Transversality Condition," Discussion Paper Series 116, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2000.
"Necessity of Transversality Conditions for Stochastic Problems,"
Discussion Paper Series
115, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Kamihigashi, Takashi, 2003. "Necessity of transversality conditions for stochastic problems," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 140-149, March.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2002. "Necessity of Transversality Conditions for Stochastic Problems," Discussion Paper Series 128, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2001. "Necessity of Transversality Conditions for Stochastic Problems," Department of Economics Working Papers 01-02, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- Robert G. King & Sergio T. Rebelo, 2000.
"Resuscitating Real Business Cycles,"
NBER Working Papers
7534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- K. Shell, 1968. "Applications of Pontryagin's Maximum Principle of Economics," Working papers 16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Stokey, Nancy L., 1998. "Dynamic Programming with Homogeneous Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 167-189, September.
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
- Skiba, A K, 1978. "Optimal Growth with a Convex-Concave Production Function," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 527-39, May.
- Foldes, Lucien, 1978. "Martingale conditions for optimal saving-discrete time," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 83-96, March.
- Benhabib, Jess & Farmer, Roger E.A., 1999. "Indeterminacy and sunspots in macroeconomics," Handbook of Macroeconomics, in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 387-448 Elsevier.
- Benveniste, L. M. & Scheinkman, J. A., 1982. "Duality theory for dynamic optimization models of economics: The continuous time case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 1-19, June.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1973. "Duality Theory for Infinite Horizon Convex Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(7), pages 783-789, March.
- Halkin, Hubert, 1974. "Necessary Conditions for Optimal Control Problems with Infinite Horizons," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(2), pages 267-72, March.
- Kamihigashi, Takashi, 2001. "Necessity of Transversality Conditions for Infinite Horizon Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 995-1012, July.
- Martinez-Garcia, Maria Pilar, 2003. "The general instability of balanced paths in endogenous growth models: the role of transversality conditions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 599-618, February.
- Takekuma, Shin-Ichi, 1992. "Optimal Growth under Uncertainty: A Complete Characterization of Weakly Maximal Programs," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 33(2), pages 169-182, December.
- Takashi Kamihigashi, 2000. "A simple proof of Ekeland and Scheinkman's result on the necessity of a transversality condition," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 463-468.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:29:y:2005:i:8:p:1313-1329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.