Educating young people in care: What have we learned?
The low educational attainment of children in care is of widespread international concern. This paper reconsiders major UK research on this topic. It also highlights research gaps and what are felt to be theoretical limitations. The paper argues that we need to take account of wider educational research on the ‘attainment gap’ and apply these messages to our understanding, organisation and operation of the care system. Previous research has failed to acknowledge sufficiently the socio-economic background and context of the problem. A wide range of UK policy initiatives have been introduced and we await to see how these can ameliorate the problem in the context of these broader influences.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pecora, Peter J., 2012. "Maximizing educational achievement of youth in foster care and alumni: Factors associated with success," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1121-1129.
- Trout, Alexandra L. & Tyler, Patrick M. & Stewart, McLain C. & Epstein, Michael H., 2012. "On the Way Home: Program description and preliminary findings," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1115-1120.
- Jackson, Sonia & Cameron, Claire, 2012. "Leaving care: Looking ahead and aiming higher," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1107-1114.
- Flynn, Robert J. & Marquis, Robyn A. & Paquet, Marie-Pierre & Peeke, Lisa M. & Aubry, Tim D., 2012. "Effects of individual direct-instruction tutoring on foster children's academic skills: A randomized trial," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1183-1189.
- Leon Feinstein, 2003. "Inequality in the Early Cognitive Development of British Children in the 1970 Cohort," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(277), pages 73-97, February.
- Cheung, Connie & Lwin, Kristen & Jenkins, Jennifer M., 2012. "Helping youth in care succeed: Influence of caregiver involvement on academic achievement," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1092-1100.
- Griffiths, Rose, 2012. "The Letterbox Club: An account of a postal club to raise the achievement of children aged 7 to 13 in foster care," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1101-1106.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:cysrev:v:34:y:2012:i:6:p:1171-1175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.