Small area estimation under spatial nonstationarity
A geographical weighted empirical best linear unbiased predictor (GWEBLUP) for a small area average is proposed, and an estimator of its conditional mean squared error is developed. The popular empirical best linear unbiased predictor under the linear mixed model is obtained as a special case of the GWEBLUP. Empirical results using both model-based and design-based simulations, with the latter based on two real data sets, show that the GWEBLUP predictor can lead to efficiency gains when spatial nonstationarity is present in the data. A practical gain from using the GWEBLUP is in small area estimation for out of sample areas. In this case the efficient use of geographical information can potentially improve upon conventional synthetic estimation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 56 (2012)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ray Chambers & Nikos Tzavidis, 2006. "M-quantile models for small area estimation," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 93(2), pages 255-268, June.
- Ugarte, M.D. & Goicoa, T. & Militino, A.F. & Durbán, M., 2009. "Spline smoothing in small area trend estimation and forecasting," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(10), pages 3616-3629, August.
- J. D. Opsomer & G. Claeskens & M. G. Ranalli & G. Kauermann & F. J. Breidt, 2008. "Non-parametric small area estimation using penalized spline regression," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(1), pages 265-286.
- Noel Cressie & Gardar Johannesson, 2008. "Fixed rank kriging for very large spatial data sets," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(1), pages 209-226.
- Salvati, Nicola & Chandra, Hukum & Giovanna Ranalli, M. & Chambers, Ray, 2010. "Small area estimation using a nonparametric model-based direct estimator," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(9), pages 2159-2171, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:56:y:2012:i:10:p:2875-2888. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.