Bias and skewness in a general extreme-value regression model
In this paper we introduce a general extreme-value regression model and derive Cox and Snell's (1968) general formulae for second-order biases of maximum likelihood estimates (MLEs) of the parameters. We obtain formulae which can be computed by means of weighted linear regressions. Furthermore, we give the skewness of order n-1/2 of the maximum likelihood estimators of the parameters by using Bowman and Shenton's (1988) formula. A simulation study with results obtained with the use of Cox and Snell's (1968) formulae is discussed. Practical uses of this model and of the derived formulae for bias correction are also presented.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cordeiro, Gauss M. & Vasconcellos, Klaus L. P., 1997. "Bias correction for a class of multivariate nonlinear regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 155-164, September.
- Chan, P.S. & Ng, H.K.T. & Balakrishnan, N. & Zhou, Q., 2008. "Point and interval estimation for extreme-value regression model under Type-II censoring," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 4040-4058, April.
- Simas, Alexandre B. & Barreto-Souza, Wagner & Rocha, Andréa V., 2010. "Improved estimators for a general class of beta regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 348-366, February.
- Cordeiro, Gauss M. & Botter, Denise A., 2001. "Second-order biases of maximum likelihood estimates in overdispersed generalized linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 269-280, December.
- Ospina, Raydonal & Cribari-Neto, Francisco & Vasconcellos, Klaus L.P., 2006. "Improved point and interval estimation for a beta regression model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 960-981, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:3:p:1379-1393. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.