Hydrothermal pretreatment of rice straw biomass: A potential and promising method for enhanced methane production
This paper presents the results of an experimental batch methane fermentation (at 37°C mesophilic temperature) study carried out on untreated and pretreated substrates of rice straw using NaOH and hydrothermal pretreatments. 3% NaOH pretreatment was given to ground rice straw biomass for 120h at 37°C and hydrothermal pretreatment was given for 10min at 200°C. It was observed that NaOH addition is a mandatory requirement for maintaining a suitable range of pH and starting the biogas production from hydrothermal pretreated biomass slurry of rice straw. The fed substrate concentrations were maintained at 5% TS (50g TS/L). The study revealed into 140.0L/kg VSa biogas and 59.8L/kg VSa methane from untreated rice straw substrate. However, NaOH pretreated substrate resulted into 184.8L/kg VSa biogas and 74.1L/kg VSa methane. Hydrothermal pretreated followed by 5% NaOH added substrate resulted into highest biogas and methane production yields as 315.9L/kg VSa and 132.7L/kg VSa, respectively. NaOH pretreated substrate showed an increase of 132.0% in biogas production and 123.9% in methane production relative to the untreated substrate. However, the hydrothermal pretreated substrate had resulted into an increase of 225.6% in biogas production and 222.0% in methane production relative to untreated rice straw substrate. Hydrothermal pretreatment provided an accelerated pre-hydrolysis of biomass contents during the treatment process and thereby resulted into enhanced biogas and methane production yields.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 94 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Wei-Hsin & Tu, Yi-Jian & Sheen, Herng-Kuang, 2011. "Disruption of sugarcane bagasse lignocellulosic structure by means of dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment with microwave-assisted heating," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(8), pages 2726-2734, August.
- Harun, Razif & Jason, W.S.Y. & Cherrington, Tamara & Danquah, Michael K., 2011. "Exploring alkaline pre-treatment of microalgal biomass for bioethanol production," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(10), pages 3464-3467.
- Kaparaju, Prasad & Serrano, María & Angelidaki, Irini, 2010. "Optimization of biogas production from wheat straw stillage in UASB reactor," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 3779-3783, December.
- Hilkiah Igoni, A. & Ayotamuno, M.J. & Eze, C.L. & Ogaji, S.O.T. & Probert, S.D., 2008. "Designs of anaerobic digesters for producing biogas from municipal solid-waste," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 85(6), pages 430-438, June.
- Daianova, L. & Dotzauer, E. & Thorin, E. & Yan, J., 2012. "Evaluation of a regional bioenergy system with local production of biofuel for transportation, integrated with a CHP plant," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 739-749.
- Chandra, R. & Vijay, V.K. & Subbarao, P.M.V. & Khura, T.K., 2012. "Production of methane from anaerobic digestion of jatropha and pongamia oil cakes," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 148-159.
- Demirbas, Ayhan, 2011. "Competitive liquid biofuels from biomass," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 17-28, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:94:y:2012:i:c:p:129-140. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.