Choice of utility function form: its effect on classification of risk preferences and the prediction of farmer decisions
In applications of expected utility analysis, researchers are confronted with a choice among several utility functional forms. Subjective utility values and probability distributions for price and yield were elicited from Sri Lankan producers of minor export crops. Exponential quadratic and cubic utility functions were estimated. The choice of functional form was found to affect both the classification of risk attitudes and the prediction of harvesting strategy. The exponential function was the best predictor of harvesting strategy because it was the best predictor of mature harvesting. All three functions were equally poor predictors of premature harvesting.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eugene F. Fama, 1963. "Mandelbrot and the Stable Paretian Hypothesis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 420.
- Musser, Wesley N. & Wetzstein, Michael E. & Reece, Susan Y. & Musser, Lynn M. & Varca, Philip E. & Chou, Charlene C.J., 1984. "Classification Of Risk Preferences With Elicited Utility Data: Does Functional Form Matter?," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(02), December.
- Lin, William W. & Chang, Hui S., 1978. "Specification Of Bernoullian Utility Function In Decision Analysis," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 1.
- Buccola, Steven T., 1982. "Portfolio Selection Under Exponential And Quadratic Utility," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(01), July.
- Carl S. Spetzler & Carl-Axel S. Staël Von Holstein, 1975. "Exceptional Paper--Probability Encoding in Decision Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(3), pages 340-358, November.
- Hans Binswanger, 1980. "Attitudes toward risk: Experimental measurement in rural india," Artefactual Field Experiments 00009, The Field Experiments Website.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agecon:v:6:y:1992:i:4:p:333-344. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.