Does Market Timing Drive Capital Structure? Empirical Evidence from an Emerging Market
The purpose of this study is to test how equity market timing affects capital structure from the perspective of IPO (Initial Public Offering) event in ISE for the period between 1999-2008. Our dataset comprises of all firms (75 firms) that went public from the period of January 1999 to December 2008 in Turkey that are available in ISE database. We analyse the market timing theory by applying cross sectional regression method. For this purpose, first, we test the impact of market timing on the amount of equity issued by IPO firms. Second we examine the impact of market timing on capital structure. We conclude that market timing theory is not valid for Turkey.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Allard Bruinshoofd & Leo de Haan, 2012.
"Market timing and corporate capital structure: a transatlantic comparison,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(28), pages 3691-3703, October.
- Allard Bruinshoofd & Leo de Haan, 2007. "Market timing and corporate capital structure - A transatlantic comparison," DNB Working Papers 144, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Allard Bruinshoofd & Leo De Haan, 2011. "Market timing and corporate capital structure: a transatlantic comparison," Post-Print hal-00716627, HAL.
- AYDOĞAN ALTI, 2006. "How Persistent Is the Impact of Market Timing on Capital Structure?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(4), pages 1681-1710, 08.
- Malcolm Baker & Jeffrey Wurgler, 2002. "Market Timing and Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 1-32, 02.
- Jeffrey A. Wurgler & Malcolm P. Baker, 2001. "Market Timing and Capital Structure," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm181, Yale School of Management.
- Jain, Bharat A & Kini, Omesh, 1994. " The Post-Issue Operating Performance of IPO Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1699-1726, December.
- Altı, Aydoğan & Sulaeman, Johan, 2012. "When do high stock returns trigger equity issues?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 61-87.
- Elliott, William B. & Koëter-Kant, Johanna & Warr, Richard S., 2008. "Market timing and the debt-equity choice," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 175-197, April.
- Tijs de Bie & Leo de Haan, 2004. "Does market timing drive capital structures? A panel data study for Dutch firms," DNB Working Papers 016, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ming Dong & Igor Loncarski & Jenke ter Horst & Chris Veld, 2012. "What Drives Security Issuance Decisions: Market Timing, Pecking Order, or Both?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 41(3), pages 637-663, 09. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2013-01-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.