Does Market Timing Drive Capital Structure? Empirical Evidence from an Emerging Market
The purpose of this study is to test how equity market timing affects capital structure from the perspective of IPO (Initial Public Offering) event in ISE for the period between 1999-2008. Our dataset comprises of all firms (75 firms) that went public from the period of January 1999 to December 2008 in Turkey that are available in ISE database. We analyse the market timing theory by applying cross sectional regression method. For this purpose, first, we test the impact of market timing on the amount of equity issued by IPO firms. Second we examine the impact of market timing on capital structure. We conclude that market timing theory is not valid for Turkey.
Volume (Year): 3 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econjournals.com|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Allard Bruinshoofd & Leo de Haan, 2012.
"Market timing and corporate capital structure: a transatlantic comparison,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(28), pages 3691-3703, October.
- Allard Bruinshoofd & Leo de Haan, 2007. "Market timing and corporate capital structure - A transatlantic comparison," DNB Working Papers 144, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Allard Bruinshoofd & Leo De Haan, 2011. "Market timing and corporate capital structure: a transatlantic comparison," Post-Print hal-00716627, HAL.
- Jeffrey A. Wurgler & Malcolm P. Baker, 2001.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm181, Yale School of Management.
- Jain, Bharat A & Kini, Omesh, 1994. " The Post-Issue Operating Performance of IPO Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(5), pages 1699-1726, December.
- Altı, Aydoğan & Sulaeman, Johan, 2012. "When do high stock returns trigger equity issues?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1), pages 61-87.
- Tijs Bie & Leo Haan, 2007.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure: Evidence for Dutch Firms,"
Springer, vol. 155(2), pages 183-206, June.
- Tijs de Bie & Leo de Haan, 2004. "Does market timing drive capital structures? A panel data study for Dutch firms," DNB Working Papers 016, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Ming Dong & Igor Loncarski & Jenke ter Horst & Chris Veld, 2012. "What Drives Security Issuance Decisions: Market Timing, Pecking Order, or Both?," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 41(3), pages 637-663, 09.
- AYDOĞAN ALTI, 2006. "How Persistent Is the Impact of Market Timing on Capital Structure?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(4), pages 1681-1710, 08.
- Elliott, William B. & Koëter-Kant, Johanna & Warr, Richard S., 2008. "Market timing and the debt-equity choice," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 175-197, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eco:journ1:2013-01-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ilhan Ozturk)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.