Gibrat´s law in Brazilian franchising: an empirical note
The paper investigates lognormality in the context of firm size distribution for the Brazilian franchising segment. That implication of Gibrat´s law-GL is considered on a yearly basis under two settings. The evidence, for both the totality of firms and for mature firms at least 5 years old, was obtained in terms of kernel density estimations and by the use of the Shapiro-Wilk normality test. The results indicate the rejection of the lognormality implication of GL and thus suggest the rejection of the law despite the apparently more favorable environment of the franchising segment.
Volume (Year): 33 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lu�s M B Cabral & Jos� Mata, 2003.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1075-1090, September.
- Cabral, Luís M B & Mata, José, 2001. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 3045, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Audretsch, D.B. & Klomp, L. & Thurik, A.R., 2002.
"Gibrat's Law: are the services different?,"
ERIM Report Series Research in Management
ERS-2002-04-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Luis Otávio Facanha & Marcelo Resende & Vicente Cardoso & Bruno H. Schröder, 2011. "Survival of New Firms in the Brazilian Franchising Segment: An Empirical Study," CESifo Working Paper Series 3388, CESifo Group Munich.
- Marcelo Resende, 2004. "Lei de Gibrat na Indústria Brasileira: Evidência Empírica," Economia, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 5(2), pages 221-268.
- Vining, Daniel R, Jr, 1976. "Autocorrelated Growth Rates and the Pareto Law: A Further Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(2), pages 369-80, April.
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00703. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.