Capacity choice in a mixed duopoly with a foreign competitor
This paper analyzes a mixed duopoly in which a public firm and a (possibly partially) foreign-owned firm choose their capacity scales before competing in quantities. We show that the private firm chooses over-capacity, as in previous literature, except if it is completely foreign-owned. In this polar case, the private firm chooses the cost-minimizing capacity scale. We also show that the change in the nationality of the private firm does not essentially alter the public firm's choice, since this firm chooses under-capacity if products are substitutes and over-capacity if they are complements, just as it does when it faces a domestic competitor.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hikaru Ogawa & Akira Nishimori, 2004. "Do Firms Always Choose Excess Capacity?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(2), pages 1-7.
- Dave Furth & Dan Kovenock, 1993.
"Price leadership in a duopoly with capacity constraints and product differentiation,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Furth, D. & Kovenock, D., 1990. "Price Leadership In A Duopoly With Capacity Constraints And Product Differentiation," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 992, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Lu, Yuanzhu & Poddar, Sougata, 2005. "Mixed oligopoly and the choice of capacity," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 365-374, December.
- Yuanzhu Lu & Sougata Poddar, 2004. "Mixed oligopoly and the choice of capacity," CEMA Working Papers 495, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Hikaru Ogawa, 2006. "Capacity Choice in the Mixed duopoly with Product Differentiation," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(8), pages 1-6.
- Wen, Mei & Sasaki, Dan, 2001. "Would Excess Capacity in Public Firms Be Socially Optimal?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(238), pages 283-290, September.
- Wang, Leonard F.S. & Chen, Tai-Liang, 2011. "Mixed oligopoly, optimal privatization, and foreign penetration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1465-1470, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00445. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.